Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain engine break in period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Footy for sharing your experiences in regard to the running in process.I found this info very helpful, as I'm sure many others will.

There is always debate on which running in oils to use, mineral or synthetic. Many of the additives used in either seem to be responsible for slower
    removal the asperities between the rings and bores. I use a 30 grade mineral oil myself.

It is quite important to emphasise that reline rpms are to be avoided during the first 500 miles, especially on a high compression air cooled engine. Excess heat build up will do ring damage and defeat the bedding in process. In extreme situations such as minimal piston to bore clearances, seizures can result.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
      It is quite important to emphasise that reline rpms are to be avoided during the first 500 miles, especially on a high compression air cooled engine. Excess heat build up will do ring damage and defeat the bedding in process. In extreme situations such as minimal piston to bore clearances, seizures can result.
      Oh Drat!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
      X