oil cooler compatability with GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Seems to me that the cover adds a restriction in the system so I wouldn't use it without the cooler.
    Yes, not advisable. You are then relying on the small gap in the 1150 circular restrictor casting, and the emergency bypass for flow. To be honest, I haven't looked at the details on the emergency bypass.....I'm not sure the oil gets filtered with it open.
    Better to get a used 82/83 stock filter cover and throw it on till you have the cooler bolted on.
    Tony.
    Last edited by Mysuzyq; 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
      Yes, not advisable. You are then relying on the small gap in the 1150 circular restrictor casting, and the emergency bypass for flow. To be honest, I haven't looked at the details on the emergency bypass.....I'm not sure the oil gets filtered with it open.
      Better to get a used 82/83 stock filter cover and throw it on till you have the cooler bolted on.
      Tony.
      The small hole in 1150 cover allows oil to by pass the cooler but still goes through the filter; the small hole is where all the oil would have come out for a stock 1100 cover.

The Factory manual shows a by pass around the filter. That is the question ; where is it. Someone at one point said it was the spring behind the filter but that would be in the wrong direction. Oil apparently travels from outside to the inside of the filter before running back to the rear oil pressure switch.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        The small hole in 1150 cover allows oil to by pass the cooler but still goes through the filter; the small hole is where all the oil would have come out for a stock 1100 cover.

The Factory manual shows a by pass around the filter. That is the question ; where is it. Someone at one point said it was the spring behind the filter but that would be in the wrong direction. Oil apparently travels from outside to the inside of the filter before running back to the rear oil pressure switch.
        I too remember hearing something about the spring, Jim, and also one theory that stated it had to do with the construction of the filters themselves....they have a bypass designed to open in the event of a severely clogged element. I have not really looked into it in detail, but I think we can all agree that the 1150 cover will restrict all but around 20% of normal flow, without a cooler in place to complete the circuit. TFB says this condition will cause the bypass to open, to alleviate oil starvation, but this means the oil is bypassing the filtering element too....not the way one would want to run his bike.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
        X