No announcement yet.

Knocking from stator cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck are you sure that the noise emanates from the stator area and not from the camshaft area?

did you check the oil level like I asked? how much do you think it was over filled.

I can stop over after work if the need is there.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale...PM sent
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

[quote=steven conlan;1192932]when my starter clutch was going i only heard a noise when riding and the noise happened more often when hot.
        I thought originally, that i had really screwed something up. Noise wasnt all the time. I pictured a little gremlin inside my engine with a big hammer. Going down the street, out of the blue, the gremlin would give a whack.
        I tried to have others listen, but my noise only happened when moving.

Then one day - it broke completely. You should have heard that.
        I didnt know what had happened.
        I stopped downtown for coneys. When i came out starter would spin but not engage. Sounded like when a car has a bad bendix.

Very large detroit cop helped me push start.

That told me it wasnt the motor and i found 3 sheered bolts in the starter clutch. I couldnt even see the damage until i got the rotor out of the way.
        From what you say - my guess is starter clutch.
        Man - i hate that noise.[/quote

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

Comment

Kris V and the rest..WRONG.. pulled the rotor and checked every millimeter and nothing out of place.Two of the bolts didnt have locktite on them and came off easier than the one that did though. I cleaned everything with acetone and compressed air and reassembled with locktite on all bolts..still there.. Took off clutch cover and hub nut wasnt loose. no loose springs bolts, no broken bearings..nothing. I got it all the way down to the oil pump and nothing is broke or even has any unusual wear marks.. will keep at it and Rustybronco ia gonna stop by on his way home from work as well.. if we solve it i will be sure to post the results.. Thanks guys for the help so far. Chuck.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

check to see if any of the six springs are loose on the back of the clutch basket it may be your problem does it go away when you rev it above idle once it's hot???

Comment

I feel like I have seen/heard this problem before after replacing a stator. Chuck - I am very curious to see what you figure out. I hope you get it worked out soon.

Comment

I was gonna say the 750s aren't as prone to starterclutch problems as the big hole bikes but it was worth a look. I think you're chasing phantom noises there chuck. You pulled your valve cover yet?

Comment

Josh .. me and Dale found the problem.. First there were no broken bolts in the starter clutch but only 1 out of 3 were loctited. They werent loose but they werent torqued in either. I reassembled all that and put the loctite on all 3 bolts . Rode it up to Dales work and he listened to it and suggested that maybe the clutch hub bolt was loose. I didnt think so cause i remember buying the big socket for it and was sure. Took his advise and tore into the clutch side.. Dale came by and we discovered that there are some LOOSEISH springs in the back of the hub and that we are running abit rich and he is gonna bring the guage over and we are gonna do a really anal intensive syncing and see if that helps a bit as well..It wasnt phantom noises..dale heard it as well..Thanks for the help Dale..
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-15-2010, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Just backed up reading the posts..Spyderman wins the beers!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Wha-eva! You didnt say there was beer involved.
                      Sheesh!

Figured it would be something simple.
                      Go ride the hell out of that thang!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        thank you but how do i collect said beers 1900 miles is a bit far to drive just to have a beer
                        as for the noise well you should rebuild your clutch basket
                        but it's not a you need to do it now kinda thing you can ride it this season without any problems and do it in the winter with a nice heavy duty kit
                        tkent posted a while back a quick fix for this at least i think it was him that posted it
                        also to stop it from making the rattle at idle just turn it up a few hundred RPM and it should go away
                        it is a very common flaw in the GS series bikes but not a fatal one
                        glad you found out what it was

Comment

Working...
                        X