Valve adjustment bad move!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    Charlie, I would be very suspicious if you can depress the valve shim bucket with the Suzuki tool and then be able to insert the shim. When you try to do this function without a shim in place the tool overhangs the internal diameter of the bucket and therefore you cannot fit a shim into the bucket as the tool is in the way.
    I have found it helps to dip the curved end of the shim tool into some engine oil before depressing the bucket, because it then just "slides" into position with a firm downward press. If the shim tool is placed correctly next to the cam lobe, the "edges" on the shim tool prevent the bottom part from overhanging the area where the shim must go in. I have attached a picture from the manual showing this detail clearly. Perhaps the shape of non-OEM shim tools is not exactly correct? I have a genuine Suzuki tool and it just "fits like a glove". It should never be necessary to have to loosen the cam to insert the shims and I do not recommend doing that. Just too many other potential problems with possible slipped chain etc IMHO.

+1 on using the larger 19 mm on end of crank to turn engine over, and removal of spark plugs will result in no "stress". Also +1 on not using starter to turn engine over.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

As can be seen in your diagram it is the shim that prevents the tool from coming too far in on the bucket surface. When the shim is not in place then it is extremely difficult to guess the correct position for the tool so a shim can be fitted. If you observe the diagram closely then you will see what I mean.

Comment

parts on the way

Thanks again to all for the support and ideas. I should be getting my correct feeler and a few assorted shims by Tuesday. Then I will hopefully get to check things out the right way and maybe even get up and running

Comment

Cam issue

Was back in the garage this morning, wishing I had my shims and feeler. But I did take off the signal gen cover and I can now see how easy it will be to rotate the cams with a wrench (19mm). I have a question, since I burred the edges of a couple of cam lobes, do I run the risk of serious engine damage when I button everything up and try and run it? There is no metal filings or other debris laying around or on the edges of the lobes themselves.

Thanks,

Charlie

Comment

When I shaved one of the lobes, I used a magnet and cleaned around in the bucket to remove all the metal shavings and basically did the best cleaning job I could.

It's been a week now since I did my valve job and I've not noticed anything that I can attribute to my mistake.

I am dealing with a bogging issue at 65 mph, but doubt that's got anything to do with the trimmed lobe.

BTW, don't know if this would work for you, but I did find a local bike shop, one that works on old bikes, that sold me individual shims. All I had to do was take one of my own shims to the shop to match the diameters.

They charged me $6 each.

Comment

Working...
            X