Clutch problems, bad slip at anything above 3k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    why is it that every link a person post for this site comes back with an error just like the problems i had several weeks ago.

Just lucky, I guess?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by kzjordan View Post
      thank you for clearing that up. Do you think this is what is happening to my gs, does it sound like its getting ready to blow? Im still unclear about the long bolt in small hole part
      If you read the manual you will see one of the front middle clutch cover bolts is supposed to be short else it sticks all the way through the cases and rubs on the outer part of the clutch hub.

OK Sorry, I'm a little late to the thread tearing dopwn a gaggle of BST36SS's tonite

loo here for what your $300 is gonna get you. They come up on ebay for less than $150 ususally.

P.S. note flying banna pulls a fast one and rewelds a stock 1000 plate and doesnt show doing a HD one.
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2010, 02:48 AM.

Comment

well thanks everyone for the reply's. looks like im gona do it the right way and get hd plate and new springs. I put the old plates and springs back in today because i needed to move it to a different house as im in college and am moving out and cant have it at my place after this weekend. It seemed to grab better right away til i got about a mile down the road and it went right back to slipping at very low rpm's

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          What he (blowerbike) is saying is that the 82/83 GS1100E's have a penchant for blowing their baskets to pieces. That is, the backing plate (riveted to the back of the clutch basket, loaded with springs to help cushion the side loading forces of the helical gearset these bikes were fitted with) springs get loose, and eventually, you grab a hand full of clutch, rack it into the next gear at redline, and let the clutch out and BOOOOOOOOM the backing plate explodes, launching your clutch basket, and other bits, into your crank, probably blowing a hole out the side of your cases, dumping oil all over the rear wheel, and you end up on your ass in the middle of the road, or the strip, wondering WTF just happened.

Usually, these baskets will warn you before this happens by making a bunch of racket as the springs loosen. Or you can check the fatigue of the springs by measuring them, and also checking how much your backing plate moves when you try to turn it against the basket.

The fix, recommended for everyone who 'runs their 1100E hard', even occasionally (cmon, its 27+ years old after all) is to have the backing plate replaced with a Heavy Duty model. This involves sending it off to one of numerous places to have the old removed, a new installed and the rivets WELDED to keep them tight.. the cost? Around $300 bucks.. The benefit? Your bike lives forever, as far as the clutch basket goes, and you dont end up dead..
          That was an excellent description - well described but dramatic enough to underscore the risk. Well done!

Comment

why is it that every link a person post for this site comes back with an error just like the problems i had several weeks ago.

404 Not Found
            The server can not find the requested page:

www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=125593 (port 80)
            Please forward this error screen to www.thegsresources.com's WebMaster.
            Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            The black hole called Ohio.
            there is nothing wrong with black holes
            HEY,
            your a buckeye transplant man!!!
            Well, it just might be oHIo.

I haven't been there since the first of the year, but will be back in just six days.

I guess you could call me a "Buckeye", but I have not had any problems with links. Probably because I'm not in oHIo right now.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X