Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78 1000 is dangerous if not treated nice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the laughs

Comment

Just last week, after I dropped my KLR 650 and bent the shifter just a tad it would pop out of gear after an upshift into second, under power.
      Once or twice it actually went into third.
      Not sure how but it is possible.
      Maybe the popping out of gear spins the shift drum so fast it's inertia keeps it moving into the next gear?
      Dunno, but bending the shifter back fixed it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just wanted to say that I can shift my 1100 with barely any pressure on the shifter at all. If you have even a tiny bit of pressure on my shifter, it'l snick right into the next gear with just a little bit of throttle modulation.

Comment

My 1100 is the same way, it takes very little pressure to shift. That being said, It has NEVER shifted on its own, anytime its popped out of gear it was because i didnt get it all the way in gear, and anytime its shifted, its because i accidentally hit the shifter. I would follow the suggestion below of riding with toes on the pegs just to be safe. You dont want to split the case for no reason, thats alot of work. If the problem persists and it turns out you need a transmission, check ebay. I saw some gs1100 transmissions (which are the same if im not mistaken) on ebay for less than 200 bucks a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by arve View Post
            Sir... The same thing occured to a friend of mine when he was trying my bike. This has never happened to anyone of us on any bike! But that doesnt mean it cant happen, one time must be the first. Have you ever seen a white moose in your life?
            Agreed - you may have a problem that I've never heard of.

But that shouldn't stop you from experimenting

The only solution is to pull the motor, flip it over and remove the bottom case and see what the heck is going on in your transmission and go from there
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X