Valve Cover Gasket 82 550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket 82 550l

I'm planning on getting into the valves of my 82 gs550l this spring sometime soon. It will be my second time doing the valves since owning the bike. Ever since I can remember my bike has leaked oil around the valve cover gasket. At one point it was so bad it would drip onto my jeans and burn my leg. It's not that bad now, but it does still leak and makes a mess of the engine on a regular basis that I have to clean up. Is there a secret to getting the valve cover to seal completely? Also what is the best place to buy gaskets?

One other note, I am going to be syncing the carb's while I'm there and the adjustment screw on one of them is always a big pain. I have seen special tools for turning and tightening these screws but wonder how well they would actually work. Do any of you use special tools or do you just use a screw driver and a wrench?

Hi,

Make sure the edges of the head and valve cover are smooth, no gouges. You can use a very thing coat of gasket sealer on one side if you like, only one side. Otherwise it will really be a mess when you have to clean it off for the next adjustment. Torque it down properly, do not over-tighten. Use some thread sealer (NOT thread locker) on the bolts.

Motion-Pro make a "combo" carb tool. I got one from the Morgan Carb Tune folks when I ordered their manometer. I think it's much easier than trying to use a separate 8mm wrench and flat screwdriver.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X