Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 clutch assembly questions

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of assembly questions. I am struggling to get my clutch right. I have an 82 1100. I have replaced the clutch plates with EBC parts as well as EBC springs. Changed the spacers underneath the springs as well.

Is the release rack (#23 on drawing) supposed to be loose? I mean I tourqued down the springs and it can be moved in and out (about 1/2") easily. It obviously can't come out because its held in by the pressure disc.

Second question, after I tighten up the clutch cover should I be able to turn the release pinion by hand about a quarter turn?

This is frustrating because once again I assemble the thing and the clutch lever is way loose. I must be doing something wrong!

Are the springs too heavy? (purchased from Z1) Is my harbor freight tourqe wrench incorrect?!?!?! Can you over-tighten the springs?

God help me... the weather is perfect..[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/czereme/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]

hi,
    someone may help you later as we are all out side in this beautiful riding weather enjoying are self having a great time and riding are motorcycles like mad fools.
    p.s.
    did i mention that is a beautiful day to be riding a motorcycle.

Comment

I have the clutch cover off my '83 1100GL right now and have noticed the exact same thing as you describe. I'm polishing now and may powder coat so I'm not trying to put it back on just yet but was wondering if that slack was going to cause some problem upon reassembly. Earlier, I had the cable disconnected when I was trying to change the pinion oil seal without taking the clutch cover off. When I reconnected the cable I had to fiddle with things a while before I got the clutch to work right and the release pinion would move.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I may be able to help you but I see no #23 and am too lazy to do your leg work.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think it's 23 on the Alpha Sports fiche.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Blowerbike, your a mean bastard!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Here is the drawing. Thanks for the help....

Comment

Make sure the needle bearing and washer are in place, in good condition and the gear on the clutch actuator and clutch release are meshed.
                If these are good your good. Don't worry about the play.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  hi,
                  someone may help you later as we are all out side in this beautiful riding weather enjoying are self having a great time and riding are motorcycles like mad fools.
                  p.s.
                  did i mention that is a beautiful day to be riding a motorcycle.
                  Blowerbike, park it for a minute. You say "we are all out side in the beautiful riding weather enjoying are self having a great time and riding are motorcycles like mad fools", yet you are typing a reply to a post.

Does this mean that you finally got your iPad connected to the bike?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Blowerbike, park it for a minute. You say "we are all out side in the beautiful riding weather enjoying are self having a great time and riding are motorcycles like mad fools", yet you are typing a reply to a post.

Does this mean that you finally got your iPad connected to the bike?

josh hooked me up

Comment

Needle bearing and spindle are in good shape. In the right order. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X