TWO Broken Rocker Arms. GS700E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
    That might be what we are looking at here.
    Possibly, good thought.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      split the cases and do it right or pick up a used engine for 100-400 bucks.
      He could easily waste money on a used engine too unless he has the time to tear it down before buying it and the seller will let them do that. Compression may check out but the used engine could have other problems, bad tranny, crank bearings, any number of things.

I don't think anyone advised him to use a split chain, just mentioned it had been done on several occasions by people on the site. In fact, Ed recommended splitting the cases to do the job right.

Comment

i seen the way the conversation was going and wanted to voice my opinion.
        i never mentioned Ed or anyone else.
        there are plenty good/cheap engines around i'm sure.
        84-86 700/83-750.
        these engines was not known to eat there self up.
        i had a trans back cut in an 83 750 once for a guy(jumps out of 2nd gear).
        at that time i added 1150 cams/1100 jet kitted carbs.
        and his bike had been beat from day one of its life and several different owners including myself twice.
        if the poster of this thread bought an engine cheap enough.. he would have plenty of extra parts if it turned out to have something major wrong with it.
        ***this is just my opinion and we all know what those are like.***

Comment

They all come from a$$holes?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            They all come from a$$holes?
            YES!!!
            where shall i send your prize?

Comment

You have several choices here. Take your chances on a used engine. Take your chances on a cam chain with a master link....something NO factory has done in MANY years & for a REASON!!! Third, & I think your WISEST choice, rebuild the engine yourself, or with the help of friends, & split the cases & install a solid chain the way SUZUKI says to do it! The end! Ray.

Comment

What's wrong with a rivet link cam chain? There are lots of peen tools available for cam chains.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Today's update:

Got the head off. Exhaust had to come off and 2nd cam out. The head looks in very good condition. No obvious bent valve nor any marks in any piston that might indicate contact. I'll try pouring acetone in the ports and watching the combustion chamber for weeping acetone. That's my normal yardstick for if the valves are sealing.

The chain doesn't look like it was a master linked chain. I found the one tiny piece of the link that has "pulled" open in this picture, but not the other side plate for the link.

I've decided I'll go ahead and split the cases and clean it out and replace the cam chain with an endless type. Partly because I also discovered quite a bit of 'chunking' on the front tensioner blade as well as noticed 'chunking' on the tensioner part that is on the inside of the valve cover. I didn't notice it earlier.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the cylinder off and pistons off and all the 'external' bits - clutch, ignition, stator, etc. Father's Day though, so I'm not sure how much work I'll be doing on it.

Comment

#2 looks like it was a little rich. Check the petcock and make sure you don't have fuel getting into the vacuum line from the petcock. You can just suck on the vacuum line while it's connected to the petcock and see if it holds vacuum. Hopefully you don't end up with fuel in your mouth. Could just be adjustment on that one carb but petcock leaks to #2 are fairly common.

Comment

Yep, and #2's plug was black too, while the other 3 plugs were a perfect light tan.

Interesting about the petcock, I'll have to check it out, because the PO DID have trouble with the petcock. It doesn't work properly and he had cobbled some kindof valve in the line. I haven't really investigated it, but noticed it when I took the tank off.

Kirk

Comment

The engine may of hydro-locked from gas in the oil.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          The engine may of hydro-locked from gas in the oil.
                          Kind of where I was heading if he finds the petcock diaphram is leaking.

Comment

Kinda cool when someone else tears down their engine and its just like yours, good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              Kinda cool when someone else tears down their engine and its just like yours, good stuff.
                              You should like this then, one of the 12:1 Cosworths I have for my bike. I need to get a head built then I'll build the engine with the Cosworths. Just have to wait until I have the money to do a head. It should end up fairly close to Superbike specs of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                                You should like this then, one of the 12:1 Cosworths I have for my bike. I need to get a head built then I'll build the engine with the Cosworths. Just have to wait until I have the money to do a head. It should end up fairly close to Superbike specs of the day.

Very cool Billly, I'm thinking you will need a thread started ...

Comment

Working...
                                X