X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slippage - 83 GS1100ES

The bike in now slipping.

Two questions:

1. Is it common to experience more slippage as the motor gets hotter?

2. Any suggestions where to buy new plates, springs and discs?

thanks

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
    The bike in now slipping.

Two questions:

1. Is it common to experience more slippage as the motor gets hotter?

2. Any suggestions where to buy new plates, springs and discs?

thanks
    1. Hotter oil = thinner oil...so yes, I believe so.

2. Stock Suzuki. But check the fibers and steels, they are probably OK. Tired springs is a common thing.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

While you have it apart, take your caliper and measure the thickness of the plates. If they are within spec, knock the glaze off the plates and reuse them.
      To knock the glaze off the plates, place them on a piece of sheet glass with a sheet of wet r dry sandpaper underneath them. (I use oil as a lubricant.) Buff them until the glaze is fully removed. You can compare the one you are working on the an untouched one to see the visual difference. Do this for all the plates, then clean all the particles off them and reuse.
      Stock springs are the preferred replacement units, unless you have greatly modified the engine.

Comment

Koolaid didn't specify this but you need to know tyhat he was referring to the STEEL plates! Don't sand the fibers. Once they are gone, they are GONE. They get hard & brittle with age & heat. Ray.

Comment

I think Kool is referring to the drive, not the driven (steel) plates.
          Chances are the drive (fiber) plates will still mic up within spec.....I'd just scuff the steels with the coarsest sandpaper on hand, replace the springs with new OEM Suzuki items, and try it. On my bike, this worked really well....not a hint of slippage anywhere.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            I think Kool is referring to the drive, not the driven (steel) plates.
            Chances are the drive (fiber) plates will still mic up within spec.....I'd just scuff the steels with the coarsest sandpaper on hand, replace the springs with new OEM Suzuki items, and try it. On my bike, this worked really well....not a hint of slippage anywhere.
            Thanks guys.

Went and ordered the springs and gasket yesterday.

Comment

Sandpaper fibers?
              I don't think so
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X