is my timming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is my timming off

1982 suzuki gs650gl.....my bike will run but will not drive (stalls) and wont rev over 5rpms...my bike was in awesome running condition untill the bike was takin apart to replace gaskets and now does this. also my to right pipes are getting hot while the 2 left are cold...is this also a timming issue...any help would be awesome........WORK HARD....PLAY HARDER........................

It could be alot of things at this point! You want to eliminate some other possible issues first. Its worth checking every piece of pipe and hose you can find. Even if you are sure they are clear and ok check them anyway! Ensure they are all in order and aren't kinked, blocked or connected wrong etc. I also have one of these if ya need help with locating pipes. Some of these are vaccuum pipes and affect fuel flow. Secondly since you rebuilt the engine you may need to adjust your carbs. Maybe even rebuild them if they stood dry for any real length of time. Also I believe that on some years of bike the fuel cap is a breather, so you'd need to check that too. It may be as simple as a fuel issue on those two cylinders.
    Once your happy that everything is solid then look to things like timing etc.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2010, 04:43 AM.

Comment

No, it's not a timing issue

Did you put the plug wires back on correctly? 1-4, 2-3
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

OK, so I had to read this to see what "timming" was, and found out you were wondering about "timing".

Depending on what gaskets you replaced, there are all sorts of mis-timing possibilities. If you had the cams off, they could be mis-timed. You would have to try awfully hard to mis-time the ignition. Probably the most likely would be what Big T suggested, make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs. The left coil should be connected to 1&4, the right coil should be connected to 2&3. It does not really matter which wire goes to which plug, but you will see that one wire is a bit longer than the other, put the short wire to the plug that is on that side of the bike. That is, on the left coil, put the short wire on #1, on the right coil, put the short wire on #3. This would be a good time to remind you that #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you do the work? Do you know what you did?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X