hard to get in to nurtal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard to get in to nurtal

Hey guys. When I first picked up my 85 gs450. It was easy to get in to neutral 1 and 2. Now all of a sudden wen I come to a stop sign and try to put it in to 1 then neutral it won't come out of gear to neutral. Unless I do it at second before I stop and in a new rider and not use to this bike at all yet. I'm thinking the clutch may need to me adjusted not sure tho. Thanks for any help

Check your chain adjustment first old mate . That's how my old girl lets me know I've been a bit slack .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Ok how tight should the chain be. It looks a bit stretched where can I get a new one and how much do they run

Comment

Cable adjustment, old oil and/or chain adjustment.
        Never heard or the loose chain one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Cable adjustment, old oil and/or chain adjustment.
          Never heard or the loose chain one.
          a slack or badly worn chain will cause gear shift problems at standstill.
          also as stated it could be incorrect clutch adjustment, worn clutch,or old or incorrect grade oil
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            a slack or badly worn chain will cause gear shift problems at standstill.
            Please pardon my ignorance, but it has been over 30 years since I owned a chain-driven bike.

Just how does a slack chain make it harder to find neutral?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Please pardon my ignorance, but it has been over 30 years since I owned a chain-driven bike.

because the layshaft, which the drive sprocket is attatched needs a certain amount of tension on it (ie. correct chain tension) to allow it to remain still when trying to change gear and allow the shift drum to rotate and the gear dogs to actuate and locate as they should.
              a slack chain will allow to much free play in the gearbox and cause gear change problems.
              a chain that is too tight can also show the same symptoms
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

it doesn't
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

adjust the clutch-- cable and inside the engine (when both are applicable)

change the sludge laden oil

adjust the shift lever

remove grease and dirt build up from everything in the C/S sprocket area

if that does not help split the cases something is bent.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                    it doesn't
                    ok, try putting your bike in top gear, slacken the chain right off, then, at standstill try getting it into neutral with out rocking the bike back and forth
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Damn right!! Just tried it on my fzr1000 and he's right ya know!
                      ... Smart arse! :-)

Comment

Wow thanks guys lots of great info. Will tighten the chain tomorrow if I need a new one how many inches should the new one be? Would like to change the oil in the bike also, But what would the number on the filter be I think its a canister one if not mistaken. How many qts of oil.? Can I run regular synthetic engine oil or just the motorcycle oil?

Comment

Originally posted by speed_demon_customs View Post
                          Wow thanks guys lots of great info. Will tighten the chain tomorrow if I need a new one how many inches should the new one be? Would like to change the oil in the bike also, But what would the number on the filter be I think its a canister one if not mistaken. How many qts of oil.? Can I run regular synthetic engine oil or just the motorcycle oil?
                          count the number of links, including the joining link and ask for a new chain with the same number of links. you would be better off buying a chain and sprocket kit as you shouldn't fit a new chain on old sprockets.
                          just ask the retailer for the relevant oil and filter for your model, and a chain and sprocket kit!!!!!
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzyhair View Post
                            Damn right!! Just tried it on my fzr1000 and he's right ya know!
                            ... Smart arse! :-)
                            I know it happens , just didn't know why , until now .
                            He's still a smart arse . Smarter than mine anyway .

Cheers , Simon .
                            Last edited by simon kuether; 06-29-2010, 03:24 PM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                              I know it happens , just didn't know why , until now .
                              He's still a smart arse . Smarter than mine anyway .

Cheers , Simon .
                              lol, your baseball cap is on its way mate
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X