83 1100E clutch in an 82 1100E ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E clutch in an 82 1100E ??

OK, so I ran across a deal on a set of 83 1100E Barnett clutch discs with a spring set for a song. There were no steels in the set, just the friction plates. I believe I read there is a difference between the 82 1100E and the 83 1100E setup, if I remember right, I believe it is a few more discs in the 83. I need a clutch in my daily driver 82 1100E, it will slip under full throttle a little sometimes in the higher gears. I have a machine shop so if I need to get medieval with it and cut some metal that's not a problem. With all the hod rodders on this site I figure someone has done this before. I am about to pull it down for a valve adjust, oil change, and carb rebuild, so I would like to do the clutch at the same time too. Any help would be appreciated.

Honestly, you probably don't need new fibers. Unless they are burnt or out of spec, they should be fine.
    More than likely, you just need new springs. If your bike is basically stock, then OEM Suzuki springs will be fine.

If you really do need fibers, which I doubt, I like the stock OEM Suzuki fibers best...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
      OK, so I ran across a deal on a set of 83 1100E Barnett clutch discs with a spring set for a song.
      They will DESTROY your clutch basket! That's likely why they're being given away.
      Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Comment

The Barnett extra plate sets are thin when compared to stock, which is how the extra plates fit. They also have steel backing and thats what is hard on the basket. Like Baatfam said, springs are most likely the culprit

Comment

Clutch

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
          The Barnett extra plate sets are thin when compared to stock, which is how the extra plates fit. They also have steel backing and thats what is hard on the basket. Like Baatfam said, springs are most likely the culprit

I will look at the discs and if they are good I will just use some new springs. I have never smoked the clutch, and when it slips (rarely) it is normally when it is wide open in 4th or 5th gear up high triple digit speeds. It doesn't always slip, and I get right out of it when it does, so maybe the discs are good. Any way good point, it would be great if the discs were usable.

Comment

Working...
          X