Slipping clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipping clutch

My '83 GS1100E had a loose hub nut and had that distinctive vibration at idle that would resonate thru to the bars.

The clutch was starting to slip too but only after the motor was good and hot.

Anyway, i dove into the clutch basket today and removed the fibers and discs. I looked everything over and noticed that half the fibre washers were worn.

I reefed down on the hub nut after removing it and pulling off the basket for inspection. I took each steel disc and sanded off any crud left from the fiber discs, installed everything with new clutch spings.

So the vibration at idle is gone but the clutch slips unbelievably. Even from off idle. I checked the cable adjustment and all is good.

I am running Motul semi-syntheic and wondering if when it gets hot whether it's allowing the fibers to slip?

Any help on this one is appreciated.

I am going to order new fibre discs tomorrow.

thanks

order suzuki OEM fibers and maybe a set of stock springs and life will be good.
    OEM steels are really cheap...think about a set of those also.
    maybe an 1150 hub nut as they are thicker/heavier than an 1100 hub nut.
    don't let 30-60 bucks or so stop you from doing a nice complete job.
    soak the fibers in oil for a few hours before install.
    Last edited by blowerbike; 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM. Reason: uhuh

Comment

You made no mention of replacing the clutch disks??

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
        My '83 GS1100E had a loose hub nut and had that distinctive vibration at idle that would resonate thru to the bars.

The clutch was starting to slip too but only after the motor was good and hot.

Anyway, i dove into the clutch basket today and removed the fibers and discs. I looked everything over and noticed that half the fibre washers were worn.

I reefed down on the hub nut after removing it and pulling off the basket for inspection. I took each steel disc and sanded off any crud left from the fiber discs, installed everything with new clutch spings.

So the vibration at idle is gone but the clutch slips unbelievably. Even from off idle. I checked the cable adjustment and all is good.

I am running Motul semi-syntheic and wondering if when it gets hot whether it's allowing the fibers to slip?

Any help on this one is appreciated.

I am going to order new fibre discs tomorrow.

thanks

"I am going to order new fibre discs tomorrow."

yes he did.

Comment

Make doubly sure that the oil you are using doesnt have any anti-friction additives in it. The spec for fibers is (I think '82 and '83 were different?) 2.6 mm mininum, mine measure 2.9mm and it still slips with heavy duty springs. EBC springs are cheap, a little stronger than stock and decent insurance against slippage.
          EDIT: The manual says the limit for fibers on '83's is 1.85mm with a standard thinkness of 2.15-2.35mm
          The '82 limit is 2.6mm or a standard thinkness of 2.9-3.1mm
          Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X