Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000G secondary drive removal HELP! PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G secondary drive removal HELP! PLEASE!

Hi all,
    I just wanted to ask how the hell I get the secondary drive gear off my bike. I have removed the swing arm, the rear bevel that attaches to the shaft but i need to get the side bevel out or at least the bearings as one of them has completely broken up.

Any help would be much much appreciated!

Do you have the side cover off the engine? The rear one that covers the shifter shaft area.

Four bolts around the bearing and it should slide right out. It's usually the rear housing that gives the difficulty.

BassCliff has a tutorial on How to Change the Secondary Drive Oil. Click on the link, scroll down to page 4, you will see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Steve; 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve, yeah i have the cover off, took the bolts out and the housing, and one of the bearings inside had disintergrated leaving bits of it all in the casing. The gear is still in the bike. The rear bevel and gear unit that attaches to the shaft is out, so only the one behind side plate is still in.

Comment

Working...
      X