im lost with this starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im lost with this starter clutch

how do i remove the stator magnet to get to this thing do i need a too or what can someone help

First, welcome to the forum.
    Second, what year/model bike we discussing?
    Third, are you asking about the stator magnet or the starter clutch?
    On my bikes, they are located in totally different areas and have nothing to do with each other.
    Best of luck, and let us know.

Comment

sorry its a 82 and the starter clutch i got the nut off witch was very tight now what do i need a puller or is it threaded

Comment

Hi,

An '82 what?

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

sorry again its a 82 gs1100 just got it and just whant to make sure it runs before i strip it down to powder coat the frame

Comment

I just did the same job 1 hour ago... First, glad you got the nut off. The rotor with the magnets around the circumference is a press fit and is a bear to get off without the right tool. I was lucky to be able to borrow one from a Suzuki shop. The puller and some heat from whats called a Mapps gas torch got mine off in 2 minutes... once you get the rotor off you will probably find 3 broken bolts that used to hold the starter clutch to the rotor. Be careful when you take it apart because small parts will start to fall away from the clutch... If you do a search, Posplayr has the info to buy the right tool...
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Hi,

The tool looks something like a slide hammer. Suzuki has a part number for it, should be in your service manual.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The tool I used looks like a deep well socket with internal threads and a bolt running thru the middle. The socket threads onto the rotor and the internal bolt pushes on the crank and pops it off the end of the crank...
                Curt
                sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

big left side=small thread puller.
                  small left side= large thread puller.
                  the owner of this thread did not state chain or shaft but either way he needs a large threaded puller(small left side taper).
                  dealerships are sometimes confused....tell them you need what i posted.
                  OEM is best...don't cheap out on a puller...you could damage your threads and then you will be SOL.

Comment

were do i get this puller the only dealers my way havent ever herd of the gs1100 to say the least

Comment

you need to go to a suzuki dealership or order one online.
                      ron ayers motorsports should be able to hook you up with an OEM puller.

Comment

Working...
                      X