Seized motor- what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized motor- what to do?

I got a great deal on a 83 gs 750. $100.00. But before you get happy for me there is one thing. The motor appears to be seized from sitting for 3 years. I am going to use the shadetree mechanic ATF/Acetone 50-50 blend. I'll let it sit for a few days then try to turn it over with a ratchet on the large nut under the ignition cover. Any other suggestions?

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I think I would try a penetrating oil like PB blaster or kroil.

Comment

This was posted on this forum a few weeks ago by fellow Canadian Sandy.....
      It was for rusted bolts but the principal is the same

Penetrating oils
      Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.
      Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
      Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's
      Workshop" magazine comparison test.
      They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.
      Penetrating oil ... .. Average load
      None ........... ......... . 516 pounds
      WD-40 ............ .. ..... 238 pounds
      PB Blaster ........ .... .. 214 pounds
      Liquid Wrench ... ... .. 127 pounds
      Kano Kroil ......... ..... 106 pounds
      ATF-Acetone mix... ....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix
      of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
      Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
      Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
      Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as
      good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Paul
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I think your mixture is fine. Keep it topped off since the acetone may flash off. Just me of course bit I'd pull the head to have a look see even if it comes unstuck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Pulling the head is good advice I think.

Comment

My father used marvel mystery oil in a 79 kawi 440 ltd. It sat in a barn for 9 yrs. Totally seized. 2 days later we were able to turn it over. Changed the oil, cleaned the tank, cleaned the carbs, and it cranked over and ran fine. $75 payed. sold for $900.

Comment

motors don't seize from sitting unless underwater or outside with no plugs installed.
              probably the reason it got parked.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's not always been my experience......... I'm just saying.

Comment

I had one stick from sitting a couple months in a humid environment. A little oil, drop the clutch a few times, good to go.
                  If it has decent compression and runs well after it frees up and after riding a few thousand miles, no need to pull the head.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Great news. I let the acetone/ATF mixture sit a few days, pulled the valve cover to have a look for any obvious problems then tried to turn it over with a breaker bar. It didn't take much pressure for it to break free. I spun it quite a few times to look/listen for problems......all seems well. Turns over smoothly, cams & chain look good, etc. Time to button it back up, tend to some electrical issues then try to fire it.

Best $100.00 I've ever spent,lol.

Paul

Comment

Good stuff mate, keep us posted.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

So what's going on with your "new" 750?
                        Were you able to get it to fire up?

Comment

Hi Mac,

Yep, got it to fire but alas, too many other projects on the go. I've decided to sell it, not sure if I'll sell it complete or part it out but I need the money to finish my 1100 gs/gsxr conversion. Tires alone for the 1100 will cost me almost $400.00.
                          I'm going to take some pics today, then advertise it here, Kijiji & CL.

Paul

Comment

I am sure it will be much easier to sell it for what you need to get out of it when it fires & runs.

I would be interested in seeing the pics too, if not just for the fact of seeing another bike pic!

Have a good one!

Comment

I am with Macguyver on this one, it will be much easier to sell and you will have much less trouble getting your price for it if it can start and run.
                              No need to go over board and get it purring, as long as the buyer sees it run.
                              +1 on the pics before you get shot of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X