tachometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tachometer question

mine stopped. at the engine, do i just unscrew the end of the tach cable from where it enters the cylinder head? that's the way it looks to me, but i just applied a little pressure, and it didn't budge.

rather than force the issue, i figured i'd ask you guys.

yes, it just unscrews

Comment

Where the cable goes into the head, there is a knurled round piece. Unscrew it with a quality plier, be it regular pliers, channel locks, whatever. The cable itself remains stationary, the outer piece rotates. Just trying to clarify, hope this helps.

Comment

thank you very much fellas. you guys keep this 650 going.

Comment

hopefully just the cable broke. disconnect it from the engine and start it up, if you can see the tacho drive spinning you know its ok. reconnect to the engine and disconnect from your tacho, if the inner cable spins then you know the cable is ok, if thats the case then the tacho itself is shot
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

he doesnt have to start the engine if it doesnt spin freely when connected to the cams then it's obviously fine
            Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            hopefully just the cable broke. disconnect it from the engine and start it up, if you can see the tacho drive spinning you know its ok. reconnect to the engine and disconnect from your tacho, if the inner cable spins then you know the cable is ok, if thats the case then the tacho itself is shot

Comment

Originally posted by friedshrooms View Post
              he doesnt have to start the engine if it doesnt spin freely when connected to the cams then it's obviously fine
              its a case of taking it step by step and ruling out any problem
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

haven't had a chance to get in there. tomorrow hopefully. i pulled the cable out of the tachometer itself, and it is not spinning. so hopefully the other end just came out of the notch. hopefully.

Comment

success! i pulled the cable off, and the little doohickey in the cylinder head was spinning. cleaned off the cable with some wd40, then some cable lube, re-attached, and voila. i guess the cable end came off the doohickey.

much thanks. i don't post much because i have little mechanical know how. but i read, and you all have helped me get this bike going and keep it going. it was a basket case, but i'm proud of my bike now.

Comment

Originally posted by corporalagarn View Post
                    success! i pulled the cable off, and the little doohickey in the cylinder head was spinning. cleaned off the cable with some wd40, then some cable lube, re-attached, and voila. i guess the cable end came off the doohickey.

much thanks. i don't post much because i have little mechanical know how. but i read, and you all have helped me get this bike going and keep it going. it was a basket case, but i'm proud of my bike now.
                    thats what we are all here for matey, dont matter how small the problem
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

another "doohickey" mystery solved

Comment

Originally posted by corporalagarn View Post

you had better luck then me. my doohickey(tack gear) didn't spin. and it look good after i pulled it out. so i have retired my tach

Comment

This happened to my 850L this morning. Tach just stopped working while driving in to work. That is why I love these forums....will go through the steps described above to see where the problem is. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X