Gs 750 & gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 750 & gs1000

Are they physically the same? I have a 1979 gs750 with a tired engine. I can get a gs1000, same year, pretty cheap. Is it a straight forward swap? Or is it not worth the hassle? Thanks for any input.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 58yroldbiker,

What do you mean by "tired"? How many miles (kilometers)? Have you checked compression? What kind of maintenance have you performed lately? There are quite a few members here with over 100,000 miles on their GS bikes and they are still going strong.

As far as I know, the engine swap you propose is possible, if you have fabrication skills and know how to modify the motor mounts on the frame. It's not a "plug and play" swap.

I'll tell you what. Let me just dump a TON of information on you. Your "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists that are pretty much mandatory to return these bikes back to their original safe, reliable, and bullet-proof condition. It also contains links to informational websites with "how to" guides, vendors, manuals, tips, and lot's of other GS lovin'. Let's get started.

I stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

If you own a hacksaw and a drill it's an easy and fairly common swap - you just need to fabricate a couple of engine mounts. Don't forget you'll lose the kickstart though - no kicker on the 1000 (I love kickstarts).

As Cliff said what is wrong with your 750 before you go ahead and swap? The 750 is one of the toughest motors ever made - I should know, I've been guilty of shameful GS abuse in the past (penniless student days) and even that couldn't kill a 750 engine . Have a look through Cliff's mega welcome - something real simple and cheap might just resurrect your snoozing 750.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. The bike has 38000 miles on it. I bought it because I had one about 30 years ago and really liked it. When I got it the mufflers were shot, but it seemed to run good. I put 2 new mufflers on it and then all I could hear is chain noise. New chain and sprockets are now on and the motor has a pretty loud knock coming from the crank area as well as the lifter rattle, which isn't too severe. As soon as I quiet one noise it lets another be heard. Don't really want to tear it down.

Comment

Just keep going on the 750

The "crank" rattle is either the starter clutch (left side) or clutch basket (right side) and possibly the cam chain tensioner.

You'll find all those fixes on BassCliff's site, as well as a factory manual

There are no "lifters", you'll find adjusting the valves will add some pep to the motor

But, it is a noisy motor.

38k is nothing. Even of it's been abused (assume it was) it's got another 20k in it.

Buy the GS 1000 and fix that one also, then sell the one you don't want
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Welcome !!!

Get a new valve cover gasket, adjust the valves, then, check the compression. As stated, these engines are pretty stout and being "tired" is unlikely. No need to spend the money and time swapping engines if it's not needed.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
            X