Valve Cover Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket

So I finally had some decent weather to swap out the shims. I put the gasket on, the cover back on with the bolts in but not tight, and the breather cover on. Before I start working on tightening everything, will it ruin the integrity of the gasket if I cut this extra piece between the two sides? I don't think it will but I'm not sure since this is the first time I've changed a motorcycle one.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I doubt it will, but if it helps I can tell you when I changed mine about 6 weeks ago, the original one still had this "bridge" piece intact. (In other words, the factory guys just left it.)

Comment

It doesn't serve any purpose other than make the gasket a little easier to handle. I wish RealGaskets had them. You can snip it after installation, if you like.

I've heard some talk of bonding the gasket to the cover and greasing the head so you can reuse the paper gaskets. I can't remember the materials to be used though.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks guys. I took Basscliff's suggestion in his article and sprayed both gaskets down with WD40.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mine is cut out and I've had it off and on 4 times with no leakng issues.

Comment

Working...
          X