Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prep spare engine for long-term storage. (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to prep spare engine for long-term storage. (?)

I can't seem to find a home for my spare 8v 1000 engine, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=163134, so how do I prep it for long-term storage?

Fill the cylinders with oil, right?

Do I spray the engine down with cosmoline or something like it and then big garbage bag?

Should I build a wood-block frame to sit it on?

Tips, hints, advice, sought and welcome.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2010, 01:19 AM.

I use bel rey 6 in 1 spray oil down the plug holes turn it over to spread

I use an old cut up grocery cart to set it on - easy to move around.

2 or 3 times a year put more oil in and turn

if you really get intense loosen the cams so the valve springs do not get sacked. turning the engine over than is not necessary after you do that.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

basically the same as you would a car..spray the cylinders with a coating that will kinda stick to them like wd 40 or something..Idea is to coat the cylinders so rust doesnt set in and to protect the rings as well. No need to coat the exterior of the engine in my opinion. oils and grease and such just gather dirt and eventually turn into sticky goo thats a pain in the butt to get off. I wouldnt use a garbage bag because plastic cant breathe. Heat fluxuations will cause condensation on the inside of the bag and cause all kinds of damage..best bet is to just cover it with a good thick blanket and leave it at that.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X