what a mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a mess

Hi ,,I Have a puzzling problem on my 82 1100,There is oil pumping out from a small breather valve&tube coming from the grankcase,which is located just behind the starter,,The bike has great compression 125/130/125/150,,I would have thought that if it was caused from blowby I would see a cyl. with little compression,,The breather that comes from the valve cover seems to have no restriction,,there is no oil in the air box, What am I missing

Did your oil level "magically" get too full?
    Free oil in the crankcase, more than you ever put into it last oil change?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No,first thing I checked,,I even drained it and started over,,I got this bike about a week ago from I guy,I knew it was doing this before I got it,,He said it started doing it one day,,we have not even settled on a price for it yet,,I just want to know where to start,,No smoke either
      This bike runs great,It would probly give my 2001 FZ1 a run for the money,,

Comment

Someone swapped the oil pressure switch over for something else? That's the only thing I can think of behind the starter motor.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Someone swapped the oil pressure switch over for something else? That's the only thing I can think of behind the starter motor.
          Yeah, I don't know what that thing is you're talking about, either

How about posting up a picture so we can see where it's coming from
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

it is to the left of the oil switch,,it is on the parts fish,and they call it a breather plug. I wish I knew how to put a link to the parts phish,,If you look at a parts fish under crankcase modle D,it is number 22 parts number
            24821-45100,,,one can see it in the Clymer 850-110 shaft drive manual. on page 92 picture 149 and 150. Its pretty small the hose is tiny,about 1/8th inch,,maybe the hose runs back into the engine somewhere

Comment

will have my wife help me send a picture,,heck I can't even figure out how to turn this camera on,let alone get it sent to here

Comment

Yeah,,I looked up Your guys bikes on the parts phish,and they do not have this breather valve on them,,,If you want to look it up,I use powersportspro.com Suzuki 1982 GS1100GL,bring up crankcase (model D) referance number 22 on the diagram..Thanks guys

Comment

It's a crankcase breather. The only way it will spill oil if there is too much oil in the crankcase or your petcock/carb float valve is bad and leaking fuel into your oil.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

well this is what I have found out ,,,The vent has nothing to do with the the engine per say,,It is the vent for the secondary gear for the drive shaft.I found this out by blowing air into it,and found that it was coming out of the oil fill for the secondary gearing,,,Now for the really bad part,,when I drained the oil from it there were two metal hunks that look to be part of a metal ring of some sort,,it just gets better and better,,

Comment

Working...
                    X