No announcement yet.

Camshaft Top End Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don, see if the noise goes away. If it does then take the time to degree the cams again. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
      Hey, alright....I am probably wrong this time, my old eyes dont see detail very good.....I think you will find the cam timing is only advanced 1 or 2 crankshaft degrees with the taller base gasket. The intake timing will be a smaller number (TDC to max lift) and the exhaust number will be a larger number (max lift to TDC) .......I'm not a street tuner but that seems like a lot of advace for an intake cam.....Now we are talking 102/108 I/E.....Billy
      Thanks Billy, I never could really visualise stuff with camshafts, always got confused when there were changes in the motor and people said that one cam advances and the other cam retards, yet to my way of thinking both cams are being pulled the same way by the chain off the crank sprocket and I would think that both cams are being advanced seeing as they are both moving either forward or backward by the same amount if you can see what I mean.

But if my figures are truly going to be 102 and 108 then i can see a reason to degree the cams again. OH!! how I hate setting up that degree wheel and pointer on the crankshaft. Probably better to do it now while the generator cover is off.

I will set the shim clearances first and then check the lobe centres again after that.

If the lobe centres are at 102 and 108 is there any chance the valves will hit the piston or each other. I have read that the lower the numbers the closer things run to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
        Don, see if the noise goes away. If it does then take the time to degree the cams again. Dar
        Thanks Dar for raising this little issue, better to check it now before the motor is completely back together and deciding to do it then.

What are your suggestions on lobe centre settings for a street motor. Stock except for a 4 into 1 and fairly restrictive silencer.

Comment

I like the 104-105 intake and the 105-106 exhaust. That will give you good mid-range where you will spend most of your time on a street bike. I think your timing will only be off about a degree at the crank. That is figuring about a 3" diameter cam sprocket with a circumference of 9.420". For every .026" in base gasket thickness difference the timing would change 1 degree at the cam or 2 degrees at the crank. Since you only changed .010" then it would be about 1/2 that or 1 degree at the crank. Dar
          Last edited by TeamDar; 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM. Reason: thought of something else

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
            I like the 104-105 intake and the 105-106 exhaust. That will give you good mid-range where you will spend most of your time on a street bike. I think your timing will only be off about a degree at the crank. That is figuring about a 3" diameter cam sprocket with a circumference of 9.420". For every .026" in base gasket thickness difference the timing would change 1 degree at the cam or 2 degrees at the crank. Since you only changed .010" then it would be about 1/2 that or 1 degree at the crank. Dar

OK thanks for that. I will report back when I have checked the lobe centres on my motor again.

Comment

Don,

Noticed the 550 takes a 116 link cam chain while the 650 takes a 120 link chain. Which one did you use?

Edit: just noticed the 650E uses the same 116 link chain as the 550. Thought I was on to something but no. It's the 650G that takes a 120 link chain.
              Last edited by Nessism; 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                But if my figures are truly going to be 102 and 108 then i can see a reason to degree the cams again. OH!! how I hate setting up that degree wheel and pointer on the crankshaft. Probably better to do it now while the generator cover is off.

I will set the shim clearances first and then check the lobe centres again after that.

If the lobe centres are at 102 and 108 is there any chance the valves will hit the piston or each other. I have read that the lower the numbers the closer things run to each other.
                Hey Don, yeah I hear you. At least you will be more proficient at degreeing cams when you get done and like you said your already there, might as well. I use an aluminum 10" degree wheel and just super glue it to the left end of the crank with 0 somewhere near the top. Fasten the pointer wire nearby and find absolute TDC with a homemade piston stop. After setting the lobe centers, I just knock the degree wheel off the crank with my hand.

If both cams are advanced the same amount (which they were) the valve to valve clearance stays the same, but the intake valve to piston clearance is closer. Since you have stock cams, theres lots of clearance there anyway. It's refreshing to see someone so thorough and clean with their engine build......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Don,

Noticed the 550 takes a 116 link cam chain while the 650 takes a 120 link chain. Which one did you use?

Edit: just noticed the 650E uses the same 116 link chain as the 550. Thought I was on to something but no. It's the 650G that takes a 120 link chain.
                  Yes Ed they have the 34 tooth camshaft sprockets and 17 tooth crank sprocket as opposed to the 550 and 650e which have the 30 tooth cam sprockets and 15 tooth crank.

Thanks for still working at it on my behalf though.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
                    Hey Don, yeah I hear you. At least you will be more proficient at degreeing cams when you get done and like you said your already there, might as well. I use an aluminum 10" degree wheel and just super glue it to the left end of the crank with 0 somewhere near the top. Fasten the pointer wire nearby and find absolute TDC with a homemade piston stop. After setting the lobe centers, I just knock the degree wheel off the crank with my hand.

If both cams are advanced the same amount (which they were) the valve to valve clearance stays the same, but the intake valve to piston clearance is closer. Since you have stock cams, theres lots of clearance there anyway. It's refreshing to see someone so thorough and clean with their engine build......Billy
                    Thanks for the compliment Billy. Just an 'ol amateur home made mechanic doing the best I can with a little help from my friends (you guys).

Comment

A bit more progress tonight.

First the picture that Billy wanted of the ends of the camshafts.

Degree Wheel set up on one side of the motor.

TDC on other side of motor.

Metal plate set up for magnetic dial gauge.

Comment

Decided to go outside and do a bit more.

I set up the dial gauge and took readings off the degree wheel at .050" going down and then back up again. The readings that I got for the intake lobe on #1 cylinder was 3° after TDC and closing at 27° after BDC. So I came up with 102° lobe centre on the intake cam. A bit out from where it should be I would say.

Is .050" OK to do the readings at, or is .040" better.

Does someone want to check my calculations to make sure they are correct. Thanks.

I will do the exhaust tomorrow night hopefully.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                          I set up the dial gauge and took readings off the degree wheel at .050" going down and then back up again. The readings that I got for the intake lobe on #1 cylinder was 3° after TDC and closing at 27° after BDC. So I came up with 102° lobe centre on the intake cam. A bit out from where it should be I would say.

Is .050" OK to do the readings at, or is .040" better.

Does someone want to check my calculations to make sure they are correct. Thanks.

I will do the exhaust tomorrow night hopefully.
                          Hey Don, you sure do work fast, keeps me interested. I did check your math and you forgot to add 3 degrees to the 102 (1/2 total duration).....I came up with 105 centerline for the intake. Heres my math
                          177 + 27=204(total duration)
                          divide by 2= 102
                          count 102degrees from the 3atdc
                          = 105 lobe center
                          Doesn't really matter .040" or .050" thats kind of splitting hairs.....Billy

Comment

Forgot to mention there is another way to do this and I prefer it with performance cams.

Find max lift with the dial indicator
                            Zero indicator
                            Turn motor backwards a bit, then forward and stop at .050" before max lift
                            Mark degree wheel
                            Roll motor past max lift stopping at .050" after
                            Mark wheel
                            1/2 way between the marks is your lobe center

Billy

Comment

Well Billy if your maths is correct and I believe it is as I'm only a learner on this cam degreeing thing then 105° is the same as my original cam timing for the intake. So I should not have to alter anything. I have done cam timing previously only by following a formula, i.e. 5 + 180 + 35 / 2 = 110 - 5 = 105° and so on. I now understand what is actually happening in practical terms. Thanks Billy.

I will check the exhaust when I get home tonight.

BTW here are the numbers from the initial cam degreeing exercise when I slotted the sprockets.

FINAL CAM SPECIFICATIONS: (Using Dial Gauge Method – measured @ 0.030”)

EXHAUST CAM:

Opens: 35.25° BBDC
                              Closes: 2° ATDC
                              35.25° + 2° + 180° = 217.25° DURATION
                              217.25° / 2 = 108.625° - 2° = 106.625° LOBE CENTER

INTAKE CAM:

Opens: 5° BTDC
                              Closes: 35° ABDC
                              5° + 35° + 180° = 220° DURATION
                              220° / 2 = 110° - 5° = 105° LOBE CENTER

Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Hey Don, thanks for the pic from the right side showing the camshaft cut outs to cylinder head relationship. Just making sure there is no gross error. I forgot to ask you if you used a piston stop tool to find TDC. They are easy to make with an old spark plug. I also see now where the confusion is. The formula used to find the lobe center is based on whether the intake opens before or after TDC. This is directly related to what number lift you measure at. .030", .040", .050" .....In some cases you add the small number and in other cases you subtract the small number....Thats why I prefer the alternate method I described in my earlier post. Theres less room for error. Anyway heres a nice page to use for a guide.....Billy http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/degreeing.html

Comment

Working...
                                X