Camshaft Top End Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Keep your head up Don. I think you will fly second time though the engine since you now know every nut, bolt, shim etc.

Good luck and hope you figure it out.
    Thanks Ed. I need that sort of encoragement. I have just come back from looking for a cliff to push it over.

The only thing I am really dreading is getting those cylinders back on. That was such a headache for me.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Another short update.

I collected the debris from the sump cover and found that there were a few small pieces of rubber in amongst the aluminium shavings. I guess we can read: Bits of Cam Chain Blade/Guide.

After removing all the debris from the sump and seeing all the smaller bits of aluminium grit in the oil filter I was expecting to see this stuff all through the motor requiring a complete tear down again. I thought it would be through the crankshaft bearings, embedded in the clutch plates, transmission gears, etc.

This does not seem to be the case at the present time, who knows what I will find as I get deeper into the motor. I have removed the valve cover and the clutch cover and have found no evidence of debris in either of these areas.

I am halfway through getting the carbs off and then the head will be coming off after removing the cam chain tensioner and the camshafts.

Does anyone know if the rear cam chain guide can be removed without completely removing the cylinders. By lifting the cylinders enough to undo the bolt holding the rear guide in place and then lifting the guide up through the cam chain tunnel in the cylinders? So alleviating the neccessity of having to refit the cylinders over the pistons and rings again.

I am hoping that the aluminium cam chain guide that is screwed onto the lower crankcase half is not what has been chewed up by the cam chain as these are unavailable any more and it means splitting the cases again (a last resort).
      Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Don - have a go at removing that rear tensioner without pulling the cylinders but I don't think you'll do it.

If that thing has chewed up let us know. I'm pretty sure I've got a few decent ones kicking around you can have for nothing and I bet a few others on here have as well.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Don - have a go at removing that rear tensioner without pulling the cylinders but I don't think you'll do it.

If that thing has chewed up let us know. I'm pretty sure I've got a few decent ones kicking around you can have for nothing and I bet a few others on here have as well.
          Thanks Wally for the kind offer. I have the original somewhere as I put a newie in there when I rebuilt the motor. I will have to check on it's condition.

The thing I am really worried about is the bottom aluminium chain guide, I hope it's not all chewed up. If it is I have to find another (not an easy job) and split the cases again.

Comment

So far i found absolutely nothing

OK I pulled the cams, head and cylinders tonight and so far have found absolutely nothing wrong. No scoring or marks on any aluminium surfaces. Not on the head, cylinders, or in the crankcase as far as I can see inside.

I was relieved though to note there was no evidence of aluminium bits around the crankshaft or around the cams and cylinder head. The oil filter did a pretty good job of filtering out all the foreign objects.

But I am still no closer to finding out where the ali debris came from and the knocking noise.

Next job will be to pull the motor from the frame and split the cases again and hope I can find something in there.

There was no damage of any kind to the chain guides.

The following link is to pictures of the condition of the head, cylinders, guides and crankcase.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...e%20Teardown2/

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I just had a thought that it would be a good idea to pull the clutch and oil pump and see if there is any debris in the oil pump and to see if I can see through into bottom of the crankcase under the crankshaft and look in there for other debris.

Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Have been trying to fathom where the rubber pieces would have come from that were found in the sump with the aluminium debris. It does not appear to have come from the front or rear cam chain guides as they are both in excellent condition with no bits missing.

I can't think of anything else in the bottom end (around crank, transmission or clutch) that is made from rubber that could have released these rubber bits.

The rubber bits are the black bits in the picture. Only small but are definitely chunks of rubber.

The only other place I can think of where there are rubber backed bits are the two top cam chain guides. One in the valve cover and the other is an insert in the top of the head supporting the cam chain from underneath.

Any others suggestions?

I am getting the feeling I will split the cases again and find nothing and what do I do then? If the motor is still knocking and shearing off aluminium.

Comment

How does your clutch basket look Don? Salty Monk's GS1000 had a clutch cover bolt sticking though too far and hitting the basket. Regarding not finding anything so far, one way or another your engine is spitting out lots of shrapnel and you need to keep disassembling until you fine the problem. If the top end looks good the problem has to be on the bottom end.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  How does your clutch basket look Don? Salty Monk's GS1000 had a clutch cover bolt sticking though too far and hitting the basket. Regarding not finding anything so far, one way or another your engine is spitting out lots of shrapnel and you need to keep disassembling until you fine the problem. If the top end looks good the problem has to be on the bottom end.
                  Thanks Ed. I was just thinking that there is no evidence of chips of ali in the base of the engine under the transmission gears and clutch basket, so maybe nothing is coming from that area. The only place I had not thought about so far was the generator housing and it's contents. Maybe that's an area to look at. There are a few cogs flying around in there that could cause some damage if contacting softer metals. I'd be sickened if it was something in there and I have pulled the top end off the motor.

Comment

Don, most of those pieces look like ali that has been subjected to heat through friction. They appear to be very thin and irregular shaped.

I doubt that they have come from the clutch, but the starter clutch side??

I still think you'll find its expansion related, due to the noise appearing after the engine has reached normal running temps.
                    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

QUESTION: What parts in the starter are spinning while the motor is running.

Comment

I have seen something similar to this (at least similar looking chunks!) in a couple of old classics where the starter drive dog does not retract & it gets stuck on the ring gear & goes round with the engine....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hey Don, just watched your engine noise video again, and it seems to me that the noise is rythmic with a given cylinder. The frequency suggests that the noise is in one cylinder. I am thinking that a good place to start would be to carefully inspect the cylinder head. There was only a small amount of black stuff in the debris field. Possibly remnants of a valve seal. It's the only rubber part of the cylinder head, besides the 1/2 moon end seals. Might be worth the trouble to remove the retainers and springs and check the guides and valve seals. It is a new (different) part isn't it ?? .....Just a thought, going on instinct, and end stink says, it's one cylinder making the noise.....Billy

Comment

Billy, I have all new valves in the head and the head was done up by a local machine shop owned by a Harley rider (but we won't hold that against him). He faced the valves seats for me and fitted the valves and tested for leakage. I assembled the head myself with new valve guide seals. I had the valve stems faced off to provide clearance for the buckets, shims. The only thing I did not do was replace the valve guides.

The valve seals were not Geniune Suzuki Parts (GSP), but from a kit I bought on Ebay. The head gasket was Geniune Suzuki.

What sort of problem would I be looking for in the head that would cause this noise/issue?

Comment

Nothing yet

Well I pulled the generator cover, starter reduction gear, clutch, oil pump, etc. and have found no evidence of scored aluminium cases or any more debris.

Does the oil go through the pump before it reaches the filter?

Comment

Billy got me thinking again (always dangerous). Maybe a cotter or two jumped out and is sat under one of your valve buckets?
                                79 GS1000S
                                79 GS1000S (another one)
                                80 GSX750
                                80 GS550
                                80 CB650 cafe racer
                                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                                X