I need help!!!! Sos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help!!!! Sos

I posted a topic a few months ago, I was the guy who had the 82GS1100L that had a howl/knock in the transmission. Well I got bad news... I pulled the drive/driven gear assembles to find that the driven pinon shaft broke at the nut. The howl I was hearing was gear wine (like I thought) and then manifested to a scary knock. It started knocking because it broke two teeth and started to crack and tear all the other gears at the toe/face of the gear. You can see every tooth is cracked.

I found what "looks" like a good used set out of a 78 GS850 on ebay for $60. I looked on bikebandit, for just the two pinon's is $280 and probably another $200 for bearings/seals/labor to assemble both units.

Has anyone ever set backlash/wear pattern b4? I'm familiar with differentials but thats a ring/pinion not a pinion/pinion. I have a worthless Clymer repair manual that doesn't say squat so any help would be GREAT!!!!!

Thanks

Whoever told you that it's a '78 850 does not know what they have. I would not trust them beyond that.

The 850 was not available until the '79 model year, but the first ones were made in late '78, so that might be it.

Either way, though, it does not really matter. The gears for the 850 will not fit in the 1100.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The information you see is probably in a factory repair manual, did you check Basscliff's website for one?

Hey Steve, what are you doing up so early?

Comment

I found another set for an 80 1000, will they interchange?

Comment

Compare the part numbers here:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
            Hey Steve, what are you doing up so early?
            I wasn't up early.

That was my last post before going to bed.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks I guess I could have done the same thing at bike bandit lol. The 850 wont work but the 80 1000 and 821100 share the same part numbers for every thing. It would work than correct? Thanks for the help....

Anyone have the correct procedure to setting bearing preload and gear pattern? Should I even attempt putting it back together or should I have a dealership? I would like to do it myself to save some change so if its possible I would REALLY appreciate a how to link or something, cuz the clymer doesn't cover this.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Anyone have the correct procedure to setting bearing preload and gear pattern? Should I even attempt putting it back together or should I have a dealership? I would like to do it myself to save some change so if its possible I would REALLY appreciate a how to link or something, cuz the clymer doesn't cover this.
                Did you look in the factory service manual?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  Did you look in the factory service manual?
                  I looked at it briefly, but now that I read through it it seems pretty easy. The only part that I wish they covered better is tooth pattern adjustment.

I understand the backlash, but lets say (theoretically) I have .400 worth of shims on each input/output drive assembly and I find that my backlash is within spec. Now I take it apart and ink it to find out my tooth contact is off and I have to subtract say .100 from the output, does this mean I have to add .100 to the input to keep my back lash with in ? I don't understand how I would change tooth contact w/o inadvertently changing the backlash. If I subtracted from one and added to another wouldn't that put me back at square one? What are the chances it'll be right on the nats ass the first time w/o adjustment?

I'm going to buy the gear sets from that 80 1000 on ebay, any specific questions I should ask the seller? The 1000 will work correct? Both assembly's shouldn't have any play or any growlyness correct?

I asked the seller how many miles the bike had, but I haven't received a reply yet. Around how many miles can these assembly's have b4 they start to wear out or show signs of wear? Is this a common problem? Should I have a dealer install new bearings and seals or should it be ok with say less than 80k?

Thanks again...
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2010, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X