Clutch confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch confusion

Hey all, ive already been benefitted greatly by the expertise on these forums. Although I do have yet another question.

My rear wheel turns (on a stand) whenever I have the bike in a gear, even with my clutch handle pulled in. I adjusted it until it was hard to pull, the wheel still spun, and when I rode the bike, I could get the clutch to slip. RPM's went up with no change in speed. I have since put it back the way the manual says, a little free play before the lever actually pulls the cable.

I didn't notice my wheel spinning before my old clutch cable broke and I put a new one on. I also have the bike off, in gear with the clutch lever pulled, and I cant physically rotate the wheel. (I haven't hulk'd it though).

I have reason to believe I have slight brake drag though, which might cause the latter, but the clutch is still a mystery.

The clutch is bathed in oil, which will account for some of the drag. When the bike is on the ground the little bit of drag from the clutch is simply not enough to move the bike.

It's kind of like your car with an automatic transmission creeping forward at a traffic light unless you keep your foot on the brake.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X