Timing Chain Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Chain Noise

Is it normal to hear the timing chain rattle when rolling on. I have a windshield, so I hear things that might not be noticeable without one? This is a low mileage motor that sat for 25 years.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

How do you know it's the timing chain? Could it be detonation when "rolling on"?

If it is the timing chain you should check your tensioner mechanism - Cliff has a link to a tutoral that Bwinger made. Well worth the trouble to check it out regardless of the issue at hand.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have the same issue. Haven't traced the source yet though. If you do, please share what you find out. Thanks!
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I had thought about the detonation, It's possible but it sure seems to be a chain noise. I have heard detonation on my old motor and it seems to be a more scattered sound like BB's in the cylinder head. I'll take a look at the chain tensor, maybe it got stuck sitting that long.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I put a manual tensioner on and it made no difference in my case.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Reg or Premium didn't matter my 850 used to ping. That is until I replaced the intake boots...

Comment

Intake boots and/or O rings would be the #1 cause of pinging

Followed by timing being off

If it is the cam chain, you should be able to isolate it by starting the bike on the center stand, reving it and listening from both sides of the bike. A mechanic's stethoscope would be helpful
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Both are new on my bike. Timing is dead on.

Comment

re

Put just high octane gas in it, and a bottle of 102 octane booster brand in the black bottle. This stuff has tetraethyl lead in it. If it is preignition, or detonation this fuel mix will kill it unless you have something real bad going on inside. Also pull your plugs and inspect them. Normally if the engine is having trouble with preignition, or detonation it shows on the plugs.

Comment

I read the article. If it was preignition, the engine would already be dead. The plugs are not showing any abnormal signs. This is not a loud noise, you would not hear it if it wasn't for the windshield. I'm going to rig a stethoscope, and then do maintenance on the chain tensor when I get a chance. It's bugging me, but the more I listen, the more I think it's chain noise.

Comment

Working...
                    X