clutch quest HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch quest HELP!

hi i am putting my 78 1000 together to try and make Barber Vintage W/E. i had a broken clutch plate and ordered two online. the last plate to go in and woops! it's too small!
    my present plates measure 6" across on the outside (not counting the teeth) while the new ones are 5 1/2". do i have the wrong new plates (likely) or do i have a different clutch?

as a background: i have it apart because at some point in an P/O life the clutch apparently exploded and was replaced. but the pieces were left in the pan for at least 10k miles by me, ignorant of this until a piece got in my oil pump and i found a double hand full of clutch pieces
    in the pan.

Alpha sports only shows one 78 1000 and it uses 21441-49002 as the most up to date part #

Did you get these off ebay or something? A lot of stuff is mislabeled on there esp if it used parts.

The drag racers will show up soon and all shall be revealed.

Comment

new parts not sure now where i got them as it was a while ago. thanx for the reply.

Comment

Maybe you could take a pic of the basket, even if its in the bike, for us to see. You never know what a p.p. has put in the motor. Some used to put Kawasaki baskets in their motors long ago as they were steel. Some put 1100 4v baskets in as they were readily available on the after market and carried more plates. All my clutch stuff is at my work, so I cant give measurements until Monday. A pic of the basket would be good.....One broken plate eh...Did you take them all out and inspect them ??....Are the plates made of aluminum or steel (friction plates)????....Georgia boy eh....I won my 2nd national event in your state at Warner Robbins many moons ago with a GS1000....Had to beat Paul Gast in the semi's.....Billy

Comment

that's what i was thinking, maybe an 1100 basket, star racing is closed till monday so i thought i would try you guys and see if i could run down some specs. if it is an 1100 that's good as there are a lot more choices.
          the basket was hard to install, i had to ease it in sideways and then put in the bearings after it is seated on the oil pump drive.
          thanks for the replies.

i was stationed in jax for a while, cecil field.
          cheers.

Comment

There were questions in my post. No answers for me ??....Tell Jackie Bryce Billy Birch says hello. I haven't talked to her in more than 15 years, but she knows who I am....No Pics??

Comment

they are steel, and i took them all out, that's how i found the one cracked.
              thanks for the help.
              i did a 12 hr day and didn't get to call star yet, but probably is the wrong size part.

Comment

Working...
              X