does this look ok to use again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does this look ok to use again?

I've got some engine rattles and noises that I'm going to work on clearing up this winter. I found that the springs behind my clutch basket were loose so I shimmed them as per tutorials I found here. Before I put the clutch back together I just want to make sure it is done correctly. I ground down the rivets holding the backing plate on until they were flush and I could get the plate off. I shimmed the springs using washers and made sure everything was shimmed symmetrically. I put the backing plate back on in the same position and, using a tig welder, welded the rivets to the plate without using filler rod. I'm just worried about the weld strength since it feels really unnatural to not use filler rod. Here's what I ended up with. Does this look OK to use again?

Here's a picture of an APE welded clutch basket for comparison

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Looks good to me. I wasn't aware that using filler was bad, where did you hear that?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was told that using filler could possibly throw it out of rotational balance if you don't use exactly the same amount of filler on each weld.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSelfdestruct View Post
          I was told that using filler could possibly throw it out of rotational balance if you don't use exactly the same amount of filler on each weld.
          I could see that... but this aint the space shuttle. Im guessing you're caffeine free (no shakes). Those welds look awesome.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            I could see that... but this aint the space shuttle. Im guessing you're caffeine free (no shakes). Those welds look awesome.
            Yeah, nice welding- the oil splashing around probably would probably cause more out of balance!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I NDT inspect welds & stuff for a living...

Those look good.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'd used filler rod, stronger. Lot of work for a little rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  Lot of work for a little rattle.
                  eh... I like working on the bike. clutch is only 20 min job.

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                  I NDT inspect welds & stuff for a living...

Those look good.
                  thanks. imagine if I could have seen what I was doing at the time (battery died in helmet while welding so I had a spot right in the middle of my vision that was burned out)

Comment

looks like ape would be out of balance , what did you use? you had to use something? if you ground the metal off theres no metal to fuse it to
                    ebay prolly has a used on?, shims, make sure they dont come flying out on ya at a good rpm!
                    double check everything, a life could be at stake, you know

Comment

Working...
                    X