GS700E Front Sprocket Nut - which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700E Front Sprocket Nut - which way?

OK, this is an embarrasing question: which way does the countershaft sprocket nut get oriented? When I disassembled the motor months ago, I didn't think to pay attention to this orientation.

Bike is an 85 GS700E. All stock, as far as I know. The countershaft sprocket nut has a recessed pocket on one side. The other side of the nut is flat. With the recessed pocket on the nut facing IN, the nut tightens down securely, pressing the sprocket hard against the spacer behind it. The recessed pocket clears the little bit of splines that stick out beyond the sprocket. Sprocket then has zero play on the shaft. With the recessed pocket on the nut facing OUT, the nut tightens down securely, but against the end of the threads on the shaft (against the splines), NOT against the sprocket itself. This leaves the sprocket with side-to-side play.

I'm assuming that the nut should go on such that there is zero side-to-side play in the sprocket, but I'm not sure. Many of the vintage Hondas have a bolt-on lock plate prevents the sprocket from coming off, yet still allows a bit of side-to-side play within the limits of the lock plate's groove on the countershaft.

Thanks for setting this Suzuki-newbie straight...

Kirk

I had my cover off yesterday and looked at everything, mine from what I remember is the flatside to the sprocket...

sounds like an acorn nut on there.

Wish I took a picture now, but worst case I'll put the cover off and look again. I just don't want to.

Comment

recessed pocet goes on inside
      you may need to be tightneing the nut more as I think they have a taper
      it may also be loose due to the metal friction insert on the outside.

Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Thats what mine looks like, never pulled it off so I couldn't tell what the inside looked like. Good call.

Comment

The recessed pocket goes inwards towards the sprocket. Don't forget to put the lock washer between the sprocket and the nut and torque the nut to specs (72 to 94 lb/ft). Then flatten the lock washer over one flat of the large nut.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I figured the recessed pocket was there to clear the bit of splines that stick out past the sprocket.

Yep, locking plate is good to go. That was what made me think it went the way it does. With the recessed pocket facing out, the locking plate wasn't really captured tightly. It's splined and there isn't enough cleareance to prevent the bent-over tab from locking the nut, but it still would've been loose and that didn't seem what I remembered.

Thanks, again,

Kirk

Comment

Working...
            X