Tach Cable Routing - GS1100EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable Routing - GS1100EX

In the process of rebuilding the '81 GS1100EX and just curious about the correct routing for the tach cable. Right now I have the cable routed between the left and right side front brake hoses ... but my gut is telling me that this might be wrong.

So, should the tach cable go between the two brake hoses, or should it be run just to the right side of the right brake hose?

Hi,

Feel free to download the manual from my website. It should have a routing diagram.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Unfortunately the FSM doesn't show this particular detail. Also, I found only one, relatively dark, photo that sort of shows a front on shot of this area ... but still not absolutely clear. Still not sure at this point.

The reason I'm concerned with this relates to the steering motion from side to side. With the cable routed between the hoses, get a bit of rubbing of the cable and right side hose when the steering head is turned to the far left, for example.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tourmaster View Post
        Unfortunately the FSM doesn't show this particular detail. Also, I found only one, relatively dark, photo that sort of shows a front on shot of this area ... but still not absolutely clear. Still not sure at this point.

The reason I'm concerned with this relates to the steering motion from side to side. With the cable routed between the hoses, get a bit of rubbing of the cable and right side hose when the steering head is turned to the far left, for example.
        I tried to do a image search on this. It is surpring that no one takes a full set of pictures for a bike. Someone here must have the same bike.

I do think that the tach cable would be best routed with the straightest path possible between tack and head. Bike do not go lock to lock much and the tach cable would wear from being twisted where the brake hose would just rub a bit when the bike was turning sharply. That is why they have the protective sheath over them I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tourmaster View Post
          In the process of rebuilding the '81 GS1100EX and just curious about the correct routing for the tach cable. Right now I have the cable routed between the left and right side front brake hoses ... but my gut is telling me that this might be wrong.

So, should the tach cable go between the two brake hoses, or should it be run just to the right side of the right brake hose?
          Photos of your install wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Good point .... so here are a couple of photos ... as you can see, I've since relocated the cable behind the brake hose splitter. Still not sure if this is correct. But, at least the tach cable's not chaffing on the right brake hose, which was the case when in front of the splitter and between the left and right hoses.

I should mention that I took photos of this area prior to disassembly. The tach cable had been routed to the right of the right brake hose, but not tucked in behind the brake hose splitter. There were so many incorrect things that the PO had done to this old bike, that there was no way of knowing if that third alternative was correct.

So, does my current routing look right?

Comment

i'd have thought it went OVER your lower triple and NOT under it

Comment

I'm fairly certain that the tach cable goes infront, and then under the lower triple tree. If, by "over", you mean behind the lower triple tree, then the turn towards the engine mount will become much too sharp ... plus the cable would get pinched by any right steering action.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a photo of this area, or at least comments, from someone who has a bike like mine, with the correct routing.

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                  i'd have thought it went OVER your lower triple and NOT under it
                  I thought the same thing, I have never seen a routing below the triples. I am not particularly familiar with this model though. The wiring goes below the bottom triple, that is shown in the manual on B/C's website. page 447ish, or 15-52 if you've printed it. Perhaps the PO installed the wrong cable?
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

here's some pics

Mine's an '82 but should be the same. I don't think the PO on mine fiddled with it much at all. I drew a red line on the cable, but you could probably have figured it out without that

Don't mind the dirt, she's getting a full cleanup before spring!
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

Thanks singletrack ... don't mind the dirt at all. Looks like, my original pre-disassembly photos were right after all. As I suspected the cable does go in front of, and under, the lower triple tree. I will just dislodge mine from behind the brake line splitter and let it hang free, to the right side, as shown in your photo.

Cheers
                      Bob (Tourmaster)

Comment

Working...
                      X