oil leak from tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak from tach cable

Okay, as the title says I noticed just now I seem to have a bit of oil leakage from the tach cable. Obviously a seal is needed (might need a cable, too). my question is wheather this indicates an OMG condition somewhere inside. ther's no stream or drip, just cought it blowing bubbles (oil bubbles) after a would be buyer rode it.
    I'da caught this sooner if I liked keeping my bikes clean. Ooops

It just needs this. Courtesy of bwringer.

Not a big deal, but it might impact the price of a sale to someone else who doesn't know better.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks, Dogma

Comment

Could he have a back up of pressure in the PCV system That is contributing to this.

Bubbles would indicate pressure rather than simple seepage.

If it is PCV related then a new seal will be blown by as well.

Comment

Ah, yeah, it's possible... The crankcase breather just connects to the airbox. In the top half of the airbox is a sheet metal baffle box that leaves about 1.5mm of space for the crankcase vent to flow through. This part of the airbox likes to rust, and can block off the vent. Cleaning it out is about an hour's work with a wire coat hanger. I'm not sure if this would be likely in that part of Texas. My bikes came from NY or MI, and they both had this rust. Something that probably needs checked anyway, but neither of my bikes blew oil bubbles.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
            .... Obviously a seal is needed ..
            Just to say that there are two seals, as you can see in Brians tutorial.
            Get both of them.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ordered both seals and tach drive gear, as my tach doesn't work and I've not diagnosed it to find out why.
              This'll also give me a chance to check the cable, and chuck it up in my cordless and spin it to see if the tach itself works

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                Ordered both seals and tach drive gear, as my tach doesn't work and I've not diagnosed it to find out why.
                This'll also give me a chance to check the cable, and chuck it up in my cordless and spin it to see if the tach itself works
                Good that you are getting both seals.

I doubt the drive is the problem why the tach isnt working.

Using a drill to test the tach is something I have done before. Can chuck up a wooden match stick to drive the tach (carfull to hold it striaght so dont break it in the tach).

If you test the tach cable by disconnecting at the tach and running engine, and if you see the end spinning - dont think the cable must be okay, grab it lightly with your fingers. THe cable could be broken, but the broken ends grabbing each other enough to spin it, but will not drive the tach.

I suspect you are going to find the tach cable is broke and that is why the tach doesnt work. If it is broke; Pull out the end of the cable and save the last few inches for next time you want to test driving a tach or a speedo (works better than a match stick).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Gotcha will do

Comment

When you test the tach with a drill, be sure it's in reverse. These things spin counterclockwise.

Comment

Thank you, glad you posted that

Comment

Working...
                      X