83-86 performance upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83-86 performance upgrades

I read a few articles here about the e models of this bike being raced.
    If that is the case then surely some mods were done to make more power and enhance handling.

There is a surprising lack of information available. I do know Wiseco made a piston kit and that there was a dynojet kit as well.

So has anyone hopped these things up even ever so slightly.

I am thinking the claimed 64 HP could be improved upon. Not that 64 HP from 572 ccs is anything to complain about.

Ah pipedreamin what a great way to avoid work.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    I read a few articles here about the e models of this bike being raced.
    If that is the case then surely some mods were done to make more power and enhance handling.

There is a surprising lack of information available. I do know Wiseco made a piston kit and that there was a dynojet kit as well.

So has anyone hopped these things up even ever so slightly.

I am thinking the claimed 64 HP could be improved upon. Not that 64 HP from 572 ccs is anything to complain about.

Ah pipedreamin what a great way to avoid work.

what bike U talking about homes ..................................

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      what bike U talking about homes ..................................

85 gs 550 es sexy fully faired one needs paint and a major overhaul and more tlc than one can imagine.
      the engines at least ran from 83-86 ( though I am sure they kept running a while longer )

Comment

This one?

Comment

yeah but with lowers to boot
          also with carbs to boot but he tels me all the parts are there.

Comment

Cogito erg bump

Comment

If theres a piston kit and jets available thats your "mild" then of course theres custom with swingarms and suspension. Id go ahead with the engine work and then see how it handles and go from there.

Comment

take a look at my signature list... There are all sorts of things you can find if you can find them...

Piston kits: if there is one out there I didn't find it and to tell the truth didn't look for one.

Cams: There are Yoshimura race cams out there. I found a set on e-bay that I got for 90$. Original box with hand written instructions and the testing info, it was a neat find that really woke the bike up above 6K RPM.

Pipes: There were a host of 4 - 1 out there, yoshimura and Vance&Hines seem to be the most prevalent. I have a Vance&Hines 4 - 1 that's the "sidewinder" and it allows me access to the oil filter cover without having to remove the headers. The "can" end on mine is just an open pipe. Make sure you check the fiberglass packing as the packing burns up/goes away you end up with no bottom end from the lack of back pressure...

Carbs: Dyno-Jet still makes the stage 3 kit and it kicks all forms of a$$ when installed correctly.

Air box: Either a K&N with the original air box or the vintage pods will work. I've been looking for the vintage pods to replace the ones I have but as they required you to glue the rubber boots from the airbox side to the filters they are tough to find and would require you to get new airbox boots as well. K&N has an "in the airbox" replacement filter that works as well.

Believe it or not the things you really want to upgrade before anything else are the suspension bits. If you have the brake activated anti-dive, ditch and block off the system and replace the springs in the front for a set of progressives. Set the spacers to your weight and the stiffness you want. In the back either have the original shock rebuilt or follow the example many others here have done and replace the rear with a GSXR shock of your choice... (I went with a GSXR600 that I got off ebay for 35$)
                Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X