Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some clarification please...starter clutch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some clarification please...starter clutch.

I started working on my GS550 project and attempted to fire up. The starter spins but the crank doesn't engage. I'm suspecting the starter clutch.

I've done all the reading on starter clutch issuses and I'm wondering if that is indeed my problem....but I'm confused.

I'm not able to check the action with the cover off as the idler gear shaft is attached to the cover itself. With the cover off on the right side I see no motion but I hear the starter motor spinning freely.

From my reading I understand that the gear on the crank is supposed to turn freely clockwise but locks up when turned anti-clockwise. Mine does that exactly and everything else looks good. So on the face of it things look correct.

Now I'm really not looking forward to pulling off this flywheel so before I start in on that could anyone explain exactly how this clutch works as I don't have an understanding of it and it might help me figure out whats happening.

As always your assistance is appreciated .

Cheers,
    spyug

You have it right about the gear spinning only one way. Not sure what to suggest other than maybe seeing if you can turn the engine using the clutch gear, to see if it will hold.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well I found out this morning that the shaft holding the idler gear is not attached to the case as I had thought so I tried it with the cover off. What happens is the crankshaft gear spins clockwise and doesn't at any point lockup. So does this tell me the clutch mechanism is pooched? In normal operation does the gear spin clockwise to a point then lock up to turn the crank? is that how it operates?

Again, I'm not clear on how this starter clutch gizmo is supposed to work so I don't really follow what I'm seeing. I don't see any broken screws or bits in the bottom of the case and everything seems tight with no grinding or rattling.

I'd like to understand this more before I try and pull the flywheel.

All comments appreciated.

cheers all,
      spyug

Comment

There are 3 barrel shaped bearings that are spring loaded in the starter clutch . If the springs are shot or weak then the bearings wont flop out and grasp the crankshaft. Youll need to pull the rotor and take the starter clutch off to inspect. Loose bolts holding the clutch to the back of the rotor are also a problem, so do the locktite on them when you reinstall them.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The starter clutch gear should turn one way, but not the other. I can't remember which way it turns but just make sure it turns one way only.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

ED the starter clutch will not spin on its own freely..It is bolted to the rotor. The ball bearings will flop out and grasp the crank when the button is pushed. Once the bike starts, the centrifigal force of the crank speed pulls the bearings back in and disengage them from the crank. Its exactly like the starter bendix acts on a car or truck.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              ED the starter clutch will not spin on its own freely..It is bolted to the rotor. The ball bearings will flop out and grasp the crank when the button is pushed. Once the bike starts, the centrifigal force of the crank speed pulls the bearings back in and disengage them from the crank. Its exactly like the starter bendix acts on a car or truck.

Chuck,
              The gear will free-spin in one direction, but not the other. Next time you have your stator cover removed try it for yourself.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

I am not recalling any gear in my 77 750 when i redid the starter clutch..just the clutch assembly and the connector gear between the clutch and starter.. is the 550 and 750s different?

Comment

Thanks guys. So now I guess I'm going to have to pull things apart....drat. I've been trying to do that since writing this first thing this morning but can't yet budge that center bolt. I've been using heat from my Mapp gas rig and a 4' torque bar but no joy yet.

One question though before I break something. That center bolt is not Left Hand Threaded is it? I don't recall reading anything to indicate that it is and I can't see anything on the nut itself but a buddy just mentioned that it may be. Just wanted to verify.

I also wondered if anyone had used a "rattle"gun on these bolts?

I can see this is going to be a bitch.

Thanks again fellas.

spyug
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I believe its just a regular thread. look at the lockwasher and see what direction its designed to prevent the bolt from turning.
                    If you don't have a puller, some manuals suggest to use the rear tire axle and a dowel pin. Once you get there
                    Last edited by Mekanix; 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Someone a week or so was trying to remove the rotor as well. I dont recall the thread, but it was a lefty loosy / righty tighty as i recall. I think he wound up using a electric or air impact gun..Wish i could remember the thread name!!

Comment

No, that bolt is a not left-hand thread. It's on with red loctite though...

Get a friend to sit on the bike & engage the rear brake while the bike's in 5th gear.

Heat the bolt head and "step" on that 4' breaker bar with your body weight & hopefully it will break free.

Next "bitch" is tightening that puppy up to spec.

When my starter clutch did the same thing, it wasn't "pressed" on the shaft tight enough; in fact, I was able to almost unthread that bolt by hand!

Good luck, don't drop the bike tryig to get that bolt off by yourself.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Thanks fellas. The bolt on mine is not like that one. Its one of the "shouldered" bolts where the head flairs out to the size of a washer so you can't tell much from it.

I think I'll try heat again and perhaps use the airwrench. I'm fearfull of snapping the bolt so I'm not so keen on using the breaker bar. I want to go slow on it.

My mechanic buddy is not available today so I might just wait for him as it seems everytime I try and sort a tough problem like this I end up making it worse. I don't want the "boss" to come back from holidays to find another lump in the garage ( the Kat shifting is not yet addressed).

I'm just hoping that when I do get the nut off I can also get the rotor off with a minimum of issues.

One positive thing about it is that when it does get sorted I'll have learned something new.......don't buy another basket case project.

I'll let you know what happens next.

Thanks all.
                          Spyug

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

sprag clutch

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

If it sounds like this the starter clutch needs replacing. There are wear tolerances on the barrels and the hub and once you exceed approx 0.050" of wear the clutch will spin no matter what springs you have in there.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 04-03-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks. That is interesting and informative. Now I think I understand what's going on.

Now to try and sort it.

cheers,
                              Spyug

Comment

Working...
                              X