Cold Header?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Header?

I have a 1891 GS 750 and have a cold header. The 3rd cylinder header and pipe does not get hot, it gets warm but not nearly as hot as the others. I changed the plugs and plug caps(all 4) and it didn't help. I think it may be a coi or compression problem. I'm thinking of having a local shop check the compression before I go replacing coil packs. Any advice on what else I can try? or has anyone else had similar problems?

There are no coil packs. There are no competent local shops. Check your spark. Check your compression. Then adjust your valves and clean your carburetors. Do these things yourself, or donate the bike to Goodwill and go buy a new moped. With a service plan.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't mind him he's just looking to score an 1891 750.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Assuming you have spark Inspect vaccume hose. goes from no 3 carb to petcock and can cause issues if leaking
        have fun
        good luck
        sounds like a rare model, I didnt know they were in production back then

Comment

Been there done that..

Losen the drain bolt to that carb and see if fuel drains. No fuel would be a good indication as to why it's not firing.

Like I said, been there...
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I agree with Octain.

The Number 3 carb is not working correctly as its not shooting fuel . The only solution, in my experience, is a through cleaning and rebuild but you can first try rapping on the float bowl with the hand of a scew driver.Some times a bit of crud blocks a jet and that rapping gets it to dislodge.

These problems are becoming fairly common if the bike sits for any length of time as it seems fuel is less stable and goes "off" quickly. It might be dirtier than it was in the past.

Good luck,
            Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by nufnuf View Post
              Assuming you have spark Inspect vaccume hose. goes from no 3 carb to petcock and can cause issues if leaking
              have fun
              good luck
              sounds like a rare model, I didnt know they were in production back then
              No, the vacuum line goes to #2 carb, he's got BS carbs, not VMs
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I will start troubleshooting this weekend. I have inspected hoses to make sure there is no leaking, and will be taking a look at the carbs this weekend. thanks for the advice. all but the scooter thing probably not going that route. also sorry for the date screw up it's a 1981 bike. I do have a mechanic friend that helps me fix my bike when I take it apart and can't get it back together!!! So if I screw it up it only cost me a case of beer!!

Comment

Originally posted by robgusto View Post
                  .... also sorry for the date screw up it's a 1981 bike.....
                  aw man, I was hoping you meant 1918! the 1981's have been done to death on these boards!

Comment

Working...
                  X