ID a GS1000SZ engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID a GS1000SZ engine?

I went to look at an engine today - seller claims it is from an 82 Katana.

Very clean, damage free and (supposedly) low mileage engine - and the price is right. The pad above the clutch cover is stamped GS10X- and the cc rating on the front of the cylinder shows 998. It's visually identical to the engine in my 82 Kat, with one exception; the valve cover has provision for a mechanical tach (it is not blocked off like the one on my Kat).

Could it be from some other Suzuki model?

Any way to know for sure it's a GS1000SZ engine?

GS10X- is correct.
    998 cc is correct.
    The valve cover tach connection has a plug that can be removed, and simply might be missing. A check of the dealer fiche says the part is still available (and the gasket that goes with it.)

As far as I know, the 82 Kat is the only 1000cc air cooled 16 valve motor ever made. And of course, inside is where the special stuff is...that's where you confirm it is a Kat engine (con rods, reinforced cases..same for 82 1100 Kats, but GS110X- for them)
    Scott
    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
    sigpic

Comment

Ray was recently mentioning about early Kat engines having a 20 bolt valve cover.
      My post clearly shows my lack of knowledge about Kats.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
        GS10X- is correct.
        998 cc is correct.
        The valve cover tach connection has a plug that can be removed, and simply might be missing. A check of the dealer fiche says the part is still available (and the gasket that goes with it.)
        Excellent - many thanks. I've had a basket case Kat sitting around for several years. I might finally be able to turn it into an actual motorcycle...

Comment

Hi mate, according to the haynes manual (an english version of the clymer repair manuals) the frame numbers for the '81-'84 GSX1100SZ kat begins GS10X 500001.So if the engine has GS10X you have a Kat engine.Johnny

Comment

I went back to look at this engine again today - definitely a Kat engine based on the information everyone gave me (many thanks).

I found some damage that I didn't see on the initial inspection - scrape and small missing chunk of case at the bottom of the points cover area. Engine turns over freely and there are no other damaged areas that I can see. The points cover is awol but everything else seems to be there.

Is $500 a fair price for this thing?

Comment

Sounds a bit high, but dpends on condition and how bad you want it. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

At $500 I winced with some damage to the engine. Does it come with carbs? Its down to what you want to pay at the end of the day.

Comment

Hi,
                  Not sure if you picked up the engine yet or not - but a couple things to think about.

1. $500 isn't unreasonable for a GSX engine in good shape.
                  2. When was the last time you saw a Katana engine for sale?
                  Scott
                  1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                  1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                  1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                  2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X