While I have it apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I have it apart?

I am getting ready to replace second gear on my 81 GS 650G. The question I have is, while I have the case split, should I replace the crank shaft bearings? The engine has 26,000 miles on it and I have not seen the condition of the bearings yet. The outside of the engine looks like it had been taken good care of (and yes, I know that it is is not the way to judge the condition of the inside). My mind set is, while I am in there, what should be replaced. I am planing to do the rings and valve seals as well. And the last question is, what should I do for a gasket set? Should I use aftermarket or go factory? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Will
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM.

The consensuses is to use OEM gaskets. If replacing 2th you need to also replace the mating gear. Is a plain brg crank
    so you could check them without too much trouble.

Comment

question is, why are you replacing second gear?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am replacing the second gear because it keep popping out of second gear. I believe the dogs on the gear are worn. I am putting in a completely different transmission that I got from a parts bike.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Willmrx View Post
          I am replacing the second gear because it keep popping out of second gear. I believe the dogs on the gear are worn. I am putting in a completely different transmission that I got from a parts bike.

Will
          Boy, you are ambitious! remember that those bevel gears on output shaft were made as a matched pair and married for life- don't mix and match! I hope this " new" tranny has low miles.
          Please take pics, so I can offer them to whoever inherits my bike.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The used tranny has about 30,000 on it. The bike it came from I got just for the tranny. I was planing to replace it as a assembly, but thanks for the heads up! I will send photos soon.

Will

Comment

Working...
            X