Problems with real gaskets v-cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with real gaskets v-cover gasket

Alright, couple weeks ago i developed a valve cover leak around the t-chain guide on my 550.(sig)

Ordered a couple new valve cover gaskets from bikebandit, one to install, one for a spare...JUST IN CASE....

installed the new one, rode it, no leaks. 300 miles in a weekend later found my left-front cam "half moon" seal leaking. Alright, not a big deal. Tore the valve cover off, resealed the cam seal, then realized my brand new-ish gasket got torn when i removed the valve cover...dumbass...

used my spare valve cover and reinstalled. rode the bike THAT NIGHT to realize it was leaking again. This time through one of the bolt holes. Must have over tightened that bolt and cracked on of the bolt cutouts on the gasket.

i ordered a realgaskets valve cover gasket earlier in the week and it arrived friday. figuring this will be the last gasket ill buy, has received good reviews, reusable, and only a couple bucks more then a OEM.

Now first off i think this is a nice looking gasket and is similar to automotive style gaskets. Read the instructions and saw 15-20 INCH POUNDS for a torque spec. now ive been using the same spec for my valve cover as the cam bearings of 8-10 foot pounds. PLENTY for a valve cover IMO. but 15-20 inch pounds? thats 1-1.5 foot pounds! it took 3 torque sequences to get everything tight and the gasket was being squished out the sides!

so i loosened everything up, and held the gasket in place while torquing. it was better but im still not overly impressed with this gasket.

to top things off...i then found out(after two hours of dicking around with this) my valve cover is cracked... That was the pickle on the crap sandwich that was my afternoon.

advice anyone? before i buy another OEM and say screw it? im sick of wrenching and want to ride.

Sounds like you need a new valve cover...

Comment

Also at 8-10 ft lbs your torque wrench could be way off. First off the 550 has the tack drive in the cam cover. The real gasket is NOT recomended for that bike !!! Major problem with the tack drive clearances. That may be why you cracked the cover ? If the gears were not aligned it could have jamed
      Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2011, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Dont have a tach. Plugged off the drive. Bought a valve cover on eBay.

Anyone have problems installing this gasket?

Comment

Don't over torque it this time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't use a torque wrench. I just tighten them enough for the gasket to squish a little. I know, not to scientific, but, that's how I do it. The only problem I've had is a couple of the bolts want to loosen up over time because they're not very tight to begin with. I just keep an eye on them and tighten as required.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

To help the bolts stay snug I use basscliffs advice and put a little thread sealer on the bolts. Sealer like what you use on plumbing pipe.

Comment

Did you make sure both mating surfaces were oil free? No problems using the real gasket, works like a champ. I only tightened mine down, snug plus a little. Have not had any leaks after about 600 miles so far.

Comment

Hi,

If you over-tighten a Real Gasket you will kill it.

Inch-pounds is correct. But what works for me is a procedure I learned from Mr. bwringer. Get it all finger tight, then go another 1/2 to 3/4 turn using your wrench. You want just enough "squish factor".

And the surfaces all have to be CLEAN, free of ANY oily or grimy residue.

I use a little dab of white thread sealer (NOT thread locker) on the valve cover bolts to help them stay in place. After installation, check the bolts after a couple of heating/cooling cycles. No need to over-tighten. Just get them snug.

Yes, for those with the tach drive gear in the valve cover, extra care must be taken to be sure the gear is aligned properly. Some don't use the silicone rubber gasket for this reason. But it works great for me. (Disclaimer: My tach gear is in the head.)

I've had my 850 for 5 years now, do at least two or three valve checks a year, and have just recently installed my second Real Gasket valve cover gasket. The cheapest paper gaskets are $10-$14 and OEM gaskets are $30. It saves me $$ every time I chech my valves. They will last forever if you don't over-tighten it and kill it like I did my first one.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X