1982 gs850 cylinder cam cover torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs850 cylinder cam cover torque

Does anyone know the torque? I also need a new one , any good place for parts?

Do you mean the valve cover? Finger tight, and a quarter turn. Or until it strips, whichever comes first.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All kidding aside the spec in in the manual
      you will get a welcome from member BassCliff soon
      he has links to mauals and other goodies

welcome to the GSR

Comment

Its a valve cover but not called that, I dont want to strip bolts which im afraid already are

Comment

is BassCliff's site it has a ton of information and will ahve a manual witht he torque value.

it is probaly 7 foot pounds or so.

Stripping is common and curable.

Comment

Strip !

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Scubieman,

There is a vendor list in your "mega-welcome". My personal favorite vendors are partshark.com and z1enterprises.com. Vendors like partnmore.com and gssuzuki.com have really good prices on some items. Do some comparison shopping, including shipping, to get the best bang for your buck.

There is a manual on my website. It will have all of those torque specs. If I remember correctly, 6 - 7 ft. lbs. is the torque for the valve cover bolts using the stock gasket.

You might find a few things of interest on my little website.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The issue is... The part I need is discontinued

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Scubieman View Post
                  The issue is... The part I need is discontinued
                  We'll need a little bit more information in order to help you.

BassCliff

Comment

It's the valve cover. The part that covers both cams. It's crack so It lifts up on one side allowing oil to come out by the cams.

The term online is cylinder cam cover.

It looks like one big capital I

Comment

Hi,

Yes, many parts for these old bikes are NLA. I've found many parts on Ebay. You can also check the Parts for Sale section and post up your need in the Parts Wanted section. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. Make sure you get the correct cover. There was a change sometime around late '81- early '82. The 16 bolt cover was replaced with the 19 bolt cover.

Here's a 16 bolt valve cover on Ebay:

If the crack isn't too bad, it may be possible to use JB Weld to repair it. Fill the break, let it dry, sand it smooth.

BassCliff

Comment

And this will fit my bike? Hate to order wrong part?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Scubieman View Post
                          And this will fit my bike? Hate to order wrong part?
                          As I stated before: Make sure you get the correct cover. There was a change sometime around late '81- early '82. The 16 bolt cover was replaced with the 19 bolt cover.

So count the bolts in your cover. The cover I linked to on Ebay is a 16 bolt cover.

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2011, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Alright, I decided having a local shop weld it.

Where can I get the gaskets from? What do I all need?

How do I put it back on? Should I put goop between engine portion and gasket then gasket to valve cover.

I am not new to engines. I just prefer to get this done once and stop this stupid oil leak..

I believe what is happened is with the crack it is not applying enough pressure to outside of cover causing it to leak.

Comment

Hi,

Read your "mega-welcome". Then read the articles on my website. There are pictures and everything.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X