Box of Marbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box of Marbles

Well over time (40,000 miles) my 79 GS1000 has developed quite a racket at low rpms. The noise goes away when the revs increase, but when I back off the throttle there is a nasty scraping sound.

So I put in an APE manual cam chain tensioner and made sure the cam timing is proper, which did quiet the engine.

But the marble rattle and low rpms and deceleration scraping sound still exist.

Anyone know if this is a clutch issue, and if so, what might I be looking at?

Thanks very much in advance.

Originally posted by tpalmer1359 View Post
    Well over time (40,000 miles) my 79 GS1000 has developed quite a racket at low rpms. The noise goes away when the revs increase, but when I back off the throttle there is a nasty scraping sound.

So I put in an APE manual cam chain tensioner and made sure the cam timing is proper, which did quiet the engine.

Marbles? as in ball bearings-let's hope not! maybe your oil pump is worn out and not delivering oil at low rpm, but the scraping is bad news.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you hear the marbles sound at idle, pull in your clutch lever

If the sound goes away, check the clutch hub not and see if it's loose. Then, check the springs on the back of the outer clutch hub.

Check Cliff's site for the repairs
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks. Pulling clutch makes no difference. Hopefully I'll have time to take apart the clutch next weekend and figure out what, if anything, is loose and then go from there. My first thought is loose basket springs.

Comment

Originally posted by tpalmer1359 View Post

Well I pulled the clutch hub and sure enough the larger gauge springs on the back are loose. I'm using a thick screw driver to expand all the springs and make them tight. Are there replacement springs anywhere?

Comment

Working...
          X