Valve Clatter?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, those exhaust gaskets are actually a one use item

People reuse them and they won't crush anymore and seal up the exhaust properly

We'll blame it all on CoastiePete, since he doesn't post here much
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you determine that the gaskets were in place? If they're old you'd swear they're not there when they actually are. They are tough copper gaskets that compress up pretty hard and dark. You have to dig them out with a small screw driver or pick.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

1948man, I did get the old ones out and yes they were imbedded in there pretty good , I've finally had time to put the new O-rings in and test drive it. I still get what sounds like valve clatter only on acceleration.So it's back to the drawing board, I think it could possibly be just that ; noisy exhaust valve/s. They could be worn I guess. I have set them and then reset them to no avail . It seems to run okay though , I may just have to bring it in and have it diagnosed by the experts. Hate doing it though , it's soooo expensive , I think around $95/hr , maybe I'll get an after hours motorcycle mechanic to look at it out of his own garage , they are much cheaper.

Comment

The description of your problem fits exactly to the same noise I have in my '81 1000G, and I have not been able to diagnose it either. One of those weird things I guess. I hate the noise as it makes the bike sound like a pile of junk when I take off. But once I'm above about 3500 rpm it goes away.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Yep, I've got same noise on my 81 1000G. I've tried everything, only makes the noise when the bikes hot and under load. Doesn't sound like "pinking", bike pulls like a train and noise disappears about 3000 rpm.
            GS1000G

Comment

I have the same problem on my 80 1000G, Just ordered new carb boots and o-rings, as I am headed out next month for a trip around Maine. Mine sounds like it is pinging on the #1 cylinder only hot and under load. Intake boots look suspect so I'm going to change them . Bike didn't do this until about the last 300 miles or so. Already checked timing and advance unit to make sure it was correct and moving freely. Other thought is possably the fuel with the ethanol, not sure but this could be effecting our bikes .
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
              X