Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever monitored actual engine cylinder temps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever monitored actual engine cylinder temps??

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has ever rigged their GS850 up to monitor the actual cylinder temps?? If so, what are "safe" temps, and what would be considered too warm?

I'm thinking of picking up a digital thermometer or temp gauge or two and rigging them up on my bike to keep track of the temps. Maybe a probe on each side or ??

Several ways of doing this, which way were you considering?
    1. Gasket ring around the spark plug
    2. Infrared thermometer on the pipes or head (have to be stopped, of course)
    3. Probes in the exhaust pipes.
    probably a few more.

Do you plan on averaging them out, switching the four leads to one display or having individual readouts for each cylinder?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Take your glove off, reach down and grab the engine. GO "Ow,that's hot."
      Put your glove back on. The best part of air cooling is that it rarely fails.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have an infrared thermometer but I dont think it goes high enough when the bike is fully warmed up. It goes blank. I use it when I first crank one to make sure all pipes are around the same temp.
        Other than that I dont care..
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

One of the guys on here has expertise in use of O2 sensors and other aspects of fuel metering.

Why do you need to measure your cylinder head temp?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Why do you need to measure your cylinder head temp?
            Mostly because I'm a big DORK, and am used to monitoring a full compliment of gauges... Just like to know what is going on in there...

Comment

Get an airplane, they have expensive gauges to monitor all kinds of silly stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                Mostly because I'm a big DORK, and am used to monitoring a full compliment of gauges... Just like to know what is going on in there...

An instrumentation enginneer?
                Hmm well I do recall that airplanes use this tech and so.....http://www.aerocorsair.com/id62.htm

pretty straightforwaard.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                  I'm just curious as to whether anyone has ever rigged their GS850 up to monitor the actual cylinder temps?? If so, what are "safe" temps, and what would be considered too warm?

I'm thinking of picking up a digital thermometer or temp gauge or two and rigging them up on my bike to keep track of the temps. Maybe a probe on each side or ??
                  here is a similar discussion. After recording header temps with my LM-2/LMA-3 I woudl say that at best differential temperature is to be used to find a problems, not so much to fine tune. Unless you plan of having different jetting on a per cylinder basis, one temp sensor is probably good enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X