Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch install/83 katana 650

Hello my name is Lance

I am interested in buy a 1983 suzuki gs 650 G Katana. A friend of mine is willing to sell it to me for $400. The bike has 15,000 miles on it and looks like it is in good condition. He told me the only problem it has is it needs a new clutch. What i was wondering was first do you think it is a good deal? Second is it hard to replace the clutch or should i get a mechanic do it? Do any of you have pictures that would help me walk through the process.

Thanks,

Lance

When he says it needs a new clutch, does he mean a new cable, springs, plates? It will probably just need a new cable which isn't that bad to change (all of 5 minutes). Don't try taking it to any mechanic for a few reasons, mostly because they don't want to work on these old bikes and if they do you'll lose more money to them in the process than you would have paid on a new bike. You can fix everything on that bike yourself with a few tools and work space.

Basscliff will come along after a bit and give you the official welcome with a link to a website chocked full of goodies. Read through it, ask questions, follow the advice given, and you'll have a great running bike soon.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The owner said he bought a new cable and had it adjusted but it still did not fix the problem. If i buy a clutch kit off ebay are they pretty easy to install?

Thanks,
      Lance

Comment

Originally posted by lovetoride View Post
        The owner said he bought a new cable and had it adjusted but it still did not fix the problem. If i buy a clutch kit off ebay are they pretty easy to install?

Thanks,
        Lance
        Do your friend a favor and take this bike off his hands! Easy fix- likely just simple adjustment.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, buy the thing. The Kat 650's are neat little bikes and not too plentiful anymore.

Shaft drive is clean and reliable, plenty of parts out there to be had for reasonable price, and a great bike to learn mechanics with.

You CAN do the clutch yourself, even if you have to replace fibers/plates.

Comment

clutch tool

Do i need to buy an specialized tools to replace the clutch? Thanks everyone this has been very helpful. What else should i replace once i have it opened up?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. lovetoride,

I'd certainly love to have a Kat 650G in my garage. Yes, clutches are pretty easy. Chances are, the most you will need to do is replace the clutch plates (sometimes fibers only) and maybe the clutch springs. Oh, don't forget the clutch cover gasket. You'll find some information on my website in the clutch section. An air gun/impact driver would be nice for the clutch hub nut, but you can do the job without it. Use a really big socket and ratchet.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X