over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over heating

I have a gs750L That I love to death. The problem is that it over heats and shuts down after about 20 miles on the freeway. If I let it sit and cool off it starts right back up and it is good for about another 20 miles.

I know it runs about 6-6500 rpm on the x-way

I know there is some rubber tubes that hang down I tried to cover one up with my thumb it caused the bike to stall if I blow into it the bike will stall when at a idle. is this supposed to be hooked to something?

I know I can get a different sprocket for the back wheel that will drop the rpm
    logic would say it would be a smaller one like on a bicycle.

any ideas would help.

Try opening the gas cap when it quits. Might be the tank vent is clogged.
    It's not the sprockets or the RPM. It's probably not overheating.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When it quit the engine was actually smoking hot Literally

Comment

What Tkent is saying is that if the gas cap vent is clogged, it leans out the carbs. Lean engine = hot engine.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Henlader,

You have a 30 year old machine that needs maintenance. A smoking engine could be from oil leaking onto the headers or cylinders. The stalling could be from dirty carbs, improper venting, or fuel starvation caused by an inline fuel filter or a dirty, rusty gas tank, or even electrical issues. If you perform all of the required restorative tasks you are certain to make your motorcycle happy. Shortcuts lead to frustration. Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Don't be like this: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes.

To get you started, let me point you in the right direction, dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Has the bike been modified? Lots of people install a loud exhaust without adjusting the carb jetting and the bike runs hot as a result.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As has been said, it could be a number of things, but I am with Nessim and tkent on this one, on the freeway the motor is getting maximum cooling from the airflow, so the most probable cause of overheating will be a lean mixture or ignition timing that is too advanced.
              take a pug spanner along and go for a ride, when it dies, pull the clutch and coast to a stop. Pull the spark plugs and see what they tell you, a white electrode means a lean mixture, tan is good and of course black is too rich a mixture.
              If the bike is getting that hot, my bet is the plug will be blistered as well, which is extremley lean, you are about to fry your motor shortly.
              Pull the carbs, and check what jetting you have in there, if you have a 4 into 1 pipe and pods, you should be at least 2 sizes up on your main jets.
              Also go through the bike for vacum leaks from the intake boots and O rings between the boots and head, sucking air there will also cause a lean run.
              While you have the carbs off, it would be an excelent idea to dip and clean them properly, also replace all the O rings, including the ones between the boots and the head.
              Please follow the advise from the good folk here if you love your 750 as you say, because if you don't sort this issue out fast, you will cook your motor.
              Let us know what you find, this is the starting point.

Comment

Working...
              X