what oil and what amount ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what oil and what amount ?

Hey fellow riders I wanted to know what type of oil should I put in to my gs 750 1977 and what quantity?
    And for the filter do they still carry them at dealers or repair shops?

Thanks for your help

Most here like to love Rotella. Buy the grade your manual states and check amounts in your manual as well.

Comment

just cheked it !

Comment

Hi,

See the READ ME page on my little website for oil recommendations and information. See the guide for Oil and Filter Change for more information. You will have a number stamped into the clutch cover (probably 2800ml) stating the capacity of the crankcase. Add another 600ml when changing the filter too. Here in the states that's a little over three and a half quarts or so.

Yes, the oil filters are still available. Don't forget to change the O-ring. Read the oil change guide on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I just bought a Fram oil filter for my '79 at Canadian Tire for $9.99. It even came with an o-ring. I noticed you were from Montreal, so Canadian Tire won't be a problem.

Comment

I just bought one from Suzuki dealer for $7.50 {OEM}
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

In my 77 GS750, I used Castrol 20-50. I put 60K on it before I traded it in for a GS1100g. The oil worked great and I still use it in my 1100. I did regular changes at 3K intervals. Every other change, I changed the filter. I like castrol very much. I use it in my truck as well. Good oil. Just park your bike on level ground and fill up to to upper limit in the site glass.

Comment

Originally posted by mforbes View Post
                In my 77 GS750, I used Castrol 20-50. I put 60K on it before I traded it in for a GS1100g. The oil worked great and I still use it in my 1100. I did regular changes at 3K intervals. Every other change, I changed the filter. I like castrol very much. I use it in my truck as well. Good oil. Just park your bike on level ground and fill up to to upper limit in the site glass.
                Don't mean to start yet another oil war but please do not use modern auto oil in an air cooled motorcycle. Get some diesel oil, or motorcycle oil if you have money to burn. Auto oil's like Castrol (US spec anyway) have 1/3 less of the good high pressure additives like zinc and phosphorus that our engines love. Plus, diesel oil is typically cheaper, and we all know how cheap GS owners are.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by adamchatum View Post
                  I just bought a Fram oil filter for my '79 at Canadian Tire for $9.99. It even came with an o-ring. I noticed you were from Montreal, so Canadian Tire won't be a problem.
                  Yeah thanks for the hint there's one near where I live
                  and thanks to the the others for helping me soon I will be posting pictures of my cafe racer!

Comment

Working...
                  X