O-ring chain for a GS 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-ring chain for a GS 1100E

Does anyone know where I can get an O-ring chain and set of sprockets for my GS 1100E? I just bought the bike and I would like to start fresh with new better stuff.

Art

Originally posted by artbone View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get an O-ring chain and set of sprockets for my GS 1100E? I just bought the bike and I would like to start fresh with new better stuff.

Art
    welcome aboard;

Z-1 Enterprises has everything and will help out. You should consider doing the 530 conversion as not only is is much lighter than the 630 chain it is also much cheaper.

Do a search on 530 conversions.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

+1 on Z1........
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        +1 on Z1........
        +2 on Z1...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The real advantage to the conversion is the availability of chains. Saving a couple of pounds on a 560 pound street bike (~0.4%) is not that big a deal. Being able to find a lot more choices for chains is an excellent idea. This is also an opportunity to change the gearing if you wish. I changed mine to a higher ratio (lower numerically) to drop the revs at highway speeds.

Comment

If you wanted to stick with the original size 630 chain, RK America has it's
            premium $165 retail XW-Ring 630 Chain still available for the close-out price of $68. This chain is rated for bikes up to 1,400cc. It's a XW Ring which is superior to the O ring chain in that it has grease in the grooves of the XW ring design.

If you're interested it's the XW-Ring 630 Chain, 630GSV-98, (you may have to take out a couple of links as the GS1100E has 96 I believe (been awhile since I replaced mine) it comes with a master link, but I'm not sure which one, (endless mash the ends down type for an endless chain, or clip) These chains are going away as they're going the route of the 530 conversion.
            One you use the link, scroll down until you see the RK chains, then look for it there.

Close-out part number BL404
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Wow, that is one heck of a price. If I didn't already have a spare I'd pick that one up immediately.
              Artbone, just remember that you have to replace the sprockets at the same time, which it appears you are prepared to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                If you wanted to stick with the original size 630 chain, RK America has it's
                premium $165 retail XW-Ring 630 Chain still available for the close-out price of $68. This chain is rated for bikes up to 1,400cc. It's a XW Ring which is superior to the O ring chain in that it has grease in the grooves of the XW ring design.

If you're interested it's the XW-Ring 630 Chain, 630GSV-98, (you may have to take out a couple of links as the GS1100E has 96 I believe (been awhile since I replaced mine) it comes with a master link, but I'm not sure which one, (endless mash the ends down type for an endless chain, or clip) These chains are going away as they're going the route of the 530 conversion.
                One you use the link, scroll down until you see the RK chains, then look for it there.

Close-out part number BL404
                Linky no worky

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Wow, that is one heck of a price. If I didn't already have a spare I'd pick that one up immediately.
                  Artbone, just remember that you have to replace the sprockets at the same time, which it appears you are prepared to do.
                  That is a smoking deal!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Linky no worky
                    You're right, but it did work when I posted it, I always check them to make sure on the Preview Post before I Submit Reply, think I had to retype that web-site 3 times before I got it right. Must be overwhelmed!
                    Give it some time, it may come back.
                    I did find a phone number 1-706-732-3161.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The whole site is down. We must've broked it. Brian, can you help us out?
                      I was able to go there earlier, so the link was valid.

Comment

Link works for me.

Must be because I'm at work using an iMac...
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Link works for me.

Must be because I'm at work using an iMac...
                          Watch the ego, McBoy!
                          But you are correct, the site is back up. XP machine, using Chrome. So there!

Comment

Working...
                          X