No announcement yet.

Engine rattle, I don't know what it is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever it is it will go boom if you dont get to it and fix it. This isn't an area you can ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
      What ever it is it will go boom if you dont get to it and fix it. This isn't an area you can ignore.
      Yeah, it's getting done this weekend, no worries.

Comment

Got really busy and just now gotten around to this.

This is what I found.

I really really detest whoever owned this bike before me.

It was missing one, and the other two are rounded off AND cross threaded...

Would it be easier to replace the side cover, or maybe tap those out?

Comment

I have a winch going to the ceiling of the garage...that's MY center-stand, lol.

Comment

No one has any input?

I'm going to take out those screws and maybe getting some hex head cblts to fit in there instead, and get a tap and chase those threads, hopefully I can clean them up.

Comment

Hi,

Do you have an impact driver for those stator screws? I usually put my stator screws in with a drop of red Lock-tite. Is that missing screw rattling around in your engine case somewhere? Or was it never re-installed? Replacing the screws is a great idea. That stator looks kind of toasty. Do I see melted insulation on the windings?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

Do you have an impact driver for those stator screws? I usually put my stator screws in with a drop of red Lock-tite. Is that missing screw rattling around in your engine case somewhere? Or was it never re-installed? Replacing the screws is a great idea. That stator looks kind of toasty. Do I see melted insulation on the windings?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                I was mistaken. My buddy took the cover off when I stepped in the house, and apparently the third screw was in the hole but wasn't threaded . That's scary, so glad it didn't bounce around in the case.

I know the screws are cross threaded because the stator is loose, but the screws are "tight".

I'll definitely get an impact driver.

:EDIT:

Also, to be honest, I don't know what a good "used" stator is supposed to look like, lol.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I have several covers that i know 100% have no thread damage..all from 77 and 78 750s. If you can verify that one will work I would gladly box one up and send it off.. free. Just want to lower the cluster level in all these boxes..PM me with what you find out and leave me the info as to where to send one. Oh and im have seen coils with the blacker winding insulation.Long as the stator is charging from all 3 legs dont worry about that.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X