Bike problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike problems

Well i just got a 83 suzuki gs650 katana. The bike was having some clutch problems at first so i got new fibers,cable,clutch gasket, and springs. I changed everything but the cable. The bike still has trouble going into N from gears. The bike also surges a little with the clutch in, in first gear. I think the cable isn't adjusted right. Do you think this is the cause of my problems. Are there any good diagrams on installing a new clutch cable. Hope you can help me.

Thanks

Originally posted by lovetoride View Post
    Well i just got a 83 suzuki gs650 katana. The bike was having some clutch problems at first so i got new fibers,cable,clutch gasket, and springs. I changed everything but the cable. The bike still has trouble going into N from gears. The bike also surges a little with the clutch in, in first gear. I think the cable isn't adjusted right. Do you think this is the cause of my problems. Are there any good diagrams on installing a new clutch cable. Hope you can help me.

Thanks
    Can you take pic of clutch pivot arm (where cable attaches)? Cables are a common wear item and still cheap.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also, if the steel clutch plates are warped you will experience similar symptoms.

Comment

Install and adjust the new cable you bought.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Pictures

Here is a picture of the pivot arm and one of the clutch lever. The only problem i am having now is i can't get the bike into N when i am going from first to N. It goes most of the time from 2 to N. Thank you so much for your help so far.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: change

Comment

Originally posted by lovetoride View Post
            Here is a picture of the pivot arm and one of the clutch lever. The only problem i am having now is i can't get the bike into N when i am going from first to N. It goes most of the time from 2 to N. Thank you so much for your help so far.
            Pivot lever angle looks good. Well,most of the time you are going from 1 to 2- better not to have it fall into N! My bike gets into neutral easier from 2, though a light touch in 1 can hit N. This just might require you to get more familiar with this tranny. I bet your foot will soon figure this out.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

I susually have to give my bike a little nudge (roll it just a little forwards/backwards) to get the transmission to go from 1st into neutral. This is normal. It is easier to get to neutral from 2nd gear. This is by design. Check the clutch adjustment procedure in your manual. This is the relevant information from my manual:

My clutch lever when released.

When the clutch is pulled in, the lever moves mabe 3/4", not much.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X