Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanishing oil trick: For really smart guys

79 GS 1000E
    Guys, I am writing this because I have already performed a lot of searches on the forum but cannot find a sequential and logical step process to remedy a problem with my bike.
    The oil in my sight window decreases with each 150 mile ride I take but I see no smoke from the exhaust and no oil leaks from the engine or the on the floor. I can fill the chamber to the "F" mark and take it for a 150 mile ride, and it will be below the halfway point of the window. Here are some of the facts:
    1. I check the oil on the center stand
    2. I have switched to the Rotella oil because one of the member tried this and it worked for him. It didn't fix my problem. Yes, I changed the filter too.
    3. My oil gets a "dirty" quickly. In other words, it becomes dark after riding it two times after the oil change. If this is "normal" just let me know.
    4. I had a faulty petcock in the past but it has since been replaced with a new (OEM) one. Oil changed twice since the new petcock was installed.

I really do appreciate you smart GS mechanics and I want you to know that I did my best to find the answer before posting this question.
    Your advice is greatly appreciated.

if your oil gets dirty quickly it sounds like your rings are shot, this would cause exhaust gasses past them and into your oil. also cause it to burn oil,even if you cant see smoke.
    do a compression check or a cylinder leakage test to find out
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

How long are you waiting between shutting the engine off and checking your oil level? Should wait a good five minutes. Takes a little while for that oil to come back from everywhere it's been.

Colouring of the oil is pretty much normal. When doing a filter and fluid change you're not getting every drop out of the motor. So it's gonna pick up colour from what's left in the engine.
      Also, when filling after a filter change, you need to fill to the mark, then cycle the engine for a few seconds (maybe 30 or so) to allow it to be pumped into all the places it used to be (the head, the filter chamber, etc) and then re-check it after letting it sit and settle. Chances are you'll need to top it off.

Comment

So it's only happening after the first ride immediately following an oil change, or does it go down that far every 150 miles?

Comment

Hi,

I would also suspect a leak. How clean is your engine? Is there oil on your boots after a ride?

A while back, when doing a routine bolt check, I noticed that my oil pan bolts were loose. The usual suspects for oil leaks are the valve cover gasket, the tachometer send gear seal, and the cam chain tensioner seal. Those are pretty easy to fix. The more difficult fixes are for the head and base gaskets, gear case seals.

The normal procedure is to clean the engine well, spray foot powder in the suspect areas, start the engine (or go for a short ride), and check for the wet spots.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The oil continues to drop even after the first ride following an oil change. Allowing for a new filter, I have thus far put in a full 4qts of oil and the level is now at the "L" mark. I allow for the oil to settle as much as overnight after a ride.

Comment

Check your airbox. If it's got a bunch of oil in it, you have problems. No smoke though eh?

Comment

Sounds like it's time to perform a leak down test, or at least a compression test.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Sounds like it's time to perform a leak down test, or at least a compression test.
                  deja vu, post 2
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You're probably burning it, then. Valves, rings or both. Like the man said...time for tests.

Comment

Or , just keep putting oil in it and ride the bitch .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

There is no oil on my boots, pants, etc after riding. I will keep looking for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by cliffnote View Post
                          There is no oil on my boots, pants, etc after riding. I will keep looking for leaks.

There is almost always evidence of leaks. Your saying there is no evidence of a leak? A leak that bad would be obvious, via smoke, oil under the case on the pan, on your boots or drips on the floor when you shut it down for the day.

I would do that compression check....just saying.

Also, i never check the oil on the center stand. On the stand the bike is not level. I leave the kick stand down and balance the bike vertical and check the oil. If it gets away from me the kick stand stops it. I'm I the only one?
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

If you downshift a lot stop doing that and see if there is a change. Bad valve seals are common on older vehicles and using the engine to slow the bike will force oil through the seals. You might not even notice it unless you are looking for it. I have a virtually new 32 year old motor on my bike, valve seals have not been changed. If I run it hard, on rare occasions, It will drop the oil below the sight glass. Compression is good, no evidence of leaks.
                            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Is there oil in your airbox?
                              But I'm not too smart so................
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X