No announcement yet.

Engine sound ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the stator wire L bracket either Earl. Removed the engine last night and took off the head and cylinders. It came apart easily probably because the engine has only run 20 minutes since it was last taken apart 10 years ago.

No rings were broken.The pins had no slop. The clips were all there and positioned properly. The cylinders were freshly honed as the PO stated. I was disappointed.

I put it all back together today and put it back in the frame, at least enough for it to run. The tinking was still there in the same place around #1 intake but at a fraction of the volume. As the engine warmed, the tinks got quieter until the individual tinks were almost gone, morphed into a overall 'aluminum' soft clatter of the same pitch which is a small part of the total engine noise. I don't know GS1000 engines - maybe it's normal but it now sounds OK to me.

I have no explanation for the change. A quess though - the head gaskets 4 oil passages under the chrome acorn nuts/copper washers had a hard amber goop slobbered around them, presumably placed by the PO to help the seal. I cleaned it off. The passage nearest #1 intake was heaviest and no doubt restricted oil flow which caused the metallic tinking. The oil flow diagram in the FSM isn't clear enough for me to tell if that passageway is under pressure feeding the head or if it's a drain. If its a drain then this theory is wrong. That's all I can think of.

I believe this project is a go. Thanks all for taking the time to suggest possibilities, especially Earl, GS Superstar.

DaveR
    1979 GS1000
    1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post

I put it all back together today and put it back in the frame, at least enough for it to run. The tinking was still there in the same place around #1 intake but at a fraction of the volume. As the engine warmed, the tinks got quieter until the individual tinks were almost gone, morphed into a overall 'aluminum' soft clatter of the same pitch which is a small part of the total engine noise. I don't know GS1000 engines - maybe it's normal but it now sounds OK to me.

DaveR
      Damn! Thats puzzling that you tore it down, found nothing wrong, put it back together and now it doesn't "tink". Apparently you fixed it, but I wish we knew what you fixed. LOL All is well that ends well as they say.
      On a plus note, I have always felt better about riding a bike with a engine I have had apart and put back together. I have more confidence in the condition of the engine if I know first hand what I have under me. I'm happy your gremlin has taken a vacation. heheh Cheers!

edit
      on 2nd thought, removing that hard amber goop was the only change you made, so I guess it is possible it was restricting oil flow enough to allow metal to metal contact causing the tinking. If that was the cause, then I think it is fortunate you went in there and removed it. I suspect it would have quickly destroyed the bearing surfaces if left for long. Besides the lubrication, I bet you had lost a significant part of the oil film cushion.

Earl
      Last edited by earlfor; 08-28-2011, 01:16 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I converted my GS750 to 850 this past winter. When I had it all together and running there was a very metalic, intermittent rattling sound coming from the top end.

I checked everything until I discovered that the ignition timing for 1-4 was not exactly the same as 2-3 and the carbs were not synched perfectly. Once I had those things in order the rattle went away.

Brian

Comment

Working...
        X